any input on this Suunto VYTEC?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
backwash
Avid Diver

any input on this Suunto VYTEC?

Post by backwash »

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/319432982.html

I am looking at picking up my first dive computer and I was hoping somebody would let me know what price is fair and whether or not this is a good computer.

also is there a warranty with this dive computer and is it void if I purchase it used?

much thanks ahead of time for your words of wisdom.

at
Adventure is just bad planning.

"Ronald Amudsen"
RSdancey
Avid Diver

Post by RSdancey »

I love my Vytec. Buying used equipment requires knowledge and a willingness to risk that what you buy may not work. Be prepared to take it for service, or to get a complete write-off. Things sold on craiglist don't have warranties.

Ryan
backwash
Avid Diver

Post by backwash »

thanks for the info, I will have to do a little more checking around before I decide on what to do next.

"Ronald Amudsen"
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

check this one out andy

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/computers/nitekduo.shtml

same price, brand new with warranty and will get you thru advanced nitrox if you go the tech route. i have one and love it, real simple to use and nice big numbers and 2 gas switching. i agree with rsdancey i wouldnt buy a used computer unless i knew the person.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Suunto makes great computers. I have a Cobra that I have dove many years. However, it is extremely conservative.

Suunto is one of the dive companies out there that will void any warrenty if you buy it on line. I know people who have purchased their computers on line and had issues. They were screwed when they needed them fixed.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I love my Vytec, and I believe that's a pretty good price for one. It has very large numbers in the display (good for old eyes) and will run in gauge mode.

But warranties generally do not transfer to new owners of just about anything.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
backwash
Avid Diver

Post by backwash »

thank you all, from much of what you all have said I think that it behooves me (that was the first time i have ever used the word behoove in a sentence) to purchase a new dive computer with a warranty. I never even thought about making sure that the one I bought would do nitrox too, thanks for the heads up Burntchef.

"Ronald Amudsen"
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Smart move. =D>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I love my Vytec...
Conservative, yes but thats ok with me.
Buy new...
K
"Let's go diving!"