Hooded Nudibranchs are out at Edmonds

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

Hooded Nudibranchs are out at Edmonds

Post by dphershman »

Went to Edmonds to dive yesterday as I'd heard that there were lots of Hooded Nudibranchs Melibe leonina to be found. We found them just shoreward of the last buoys where the eel grass forms dense thickets.

These fellows are surprisingly difficult to photograph. Their semi-transparent low-contrast bodies make my camera hunt for a focus. And since they're in the shallows the surface waves tend to make the eel grass (and the diver) twist and turn. And to top it off, the particulates this close to shore seem to always be worse.

Other than the Hoodeds, there were also several nice Clown Nudibranchs Triopha catalinae out on the Triumph. I haven't seen a lot of these this past few months so they were a nice surprise. Must be plenty of Bryozoans on that old wood for them to feed on.

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Hooded Nudibranchs are out at Edmonds

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dtodd
Avid Diver

Post by dtodd »

The Melibes are also out in force at the Eelgrass bed at Redondo.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

dtodd wrote:The Melibes are also out in force at the Eelgrass bed at Redondo.

Must be the season! :partydance:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

nice shots as usual. I have noticed that there has been a marked shortage of clown nudies at Hudson this year too. Must be a cyclic falloff. Seems like there have been less of a lot of nudies this season for some reason.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Dusty2 wrote:nice shots as usual. I have noticed that there has been a marked shortage of clown nudies at Hudson this year too. Must be a cyclic falloff. Seems like there have been less of a lot of nudies this season for some reason.
Yes, I've noticed that too. Lots of Longhorns for a short time last spring though. Then there were a lot of Frosteds. But now, pretty scarce, really. Edmonds was good, though I recall seeing 'billions and billions' of barnacle-eating dorids out at the Cathedrals last spring. Now, all gone.

Dan
lirpa246
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by lirpa246 »

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

dphershman wrote:Edmonds was good, though I recall seeing 'billions and billions' of barnacle-eating dorids out at the Cathedrals last spring. Now, all gone. Dan
[/quote]

They've all moved to Point Hudson! There's a gajillion of them there now but no Melibe leonina. I think our winter winds have washed them away.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Love it when these guys are out. H2Odoc has some really great video of them at Mukilteo.
BillyD
Frequent Bubbler

Post by BillyD »

Amazing photos! These things are so alien looking, probably one of my favorites. I am going to Redondo to search for them tonight-I hear there are lots of them at Redondo right now as well. Thanks for sharing the great photos!
Plan the dive, dive the plan. Unless you see something really cool...
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

BillyD wrote:Amazing photos! These things are so alien looking, probably one of my favorites. I am going to Redondo to search for them tonight-I hear there are lots of them at Redondo right now as well. Thanks for sharing the great photos!

thanks!

I saw a fairly dense patch of hoodeds in the eelgrass at Redondo about 3 weeks ago. But just in one area.
lirpa246
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by lirpa246 »

I was just there and didn't see any! :(
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tons of hooded nudis in the eelgrass beds at Redondo ... or there were a week ago anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Grateful Diver wrote:Tons of hooded nudis in the eelgrass beds at Redondo ... or there were a week ago anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I saw them a few weeks ago at Redondo too. Pretty amazing fall for Hoodeds, for sure!