EEZYCUT Trilobite line cutter

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

EEZYCUT Trilobite line cutter

Post by Dusty2 »

Does anyone own one of these. I have been coveting one every since I saw the demo and I wondering if they are as good as they seem.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: EEZYCUT Trilobite line cutter

Post by CaptnJack »

They are fantastic for line or webbing. I have 2 for cave diving. One on my waist and one on my light ballast. Very hard to get a cut in your suit or dry glove while using one. I suggest any color but black - which ends up being a black velcro tab in a black sheath.

They will not work on steel fishing leaders or kelp among other things.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I love mine. I keep it mounted on my computer wrist strap.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

+1. Love mine too. I easily cut a thick piece of nylon rope with it.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I have a couple of them, one on my shearwater, the other on my waist belt.

I've been thinking about machining a new handle, that you can get a dryglove finger through.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Joshua Smith wrote:I love mine. I keep it mounted on my computer wrist strap.
Great little piece of gear! I have mine mounted the same as Josh does - really easy access, but out of the way.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
DiveZen
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DiveZen »

Joshua Smith wrote:I love mine. I keep it mounted on my computer wrist strap.
+1 for me too

1 on my Shearwater Petrel
1 on Shearwater Predator Controller (rEvo)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Alright, enough rubbing it in! I don't have a CCR and I can't afford a Shearwater either. :angryblue: :angryblue: :angryblue:
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

I am absolutely in love with mine as well. I have it mounted on my waist strap webbing. You can afford that....right? :smt064
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

they even come in P!NK (and black) ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dusty2 wrote:Alright, enough rubbing it in! I don't have a CCR and I can't afford a Shearwater either. :angryblue: :angryblue: :angryblue:
Geeze dude. These things cost like twelve bucks.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Low cost and awesome. I have put one on all of my kits. Yes, kits plural. Joy of a dual-continent lifestyle. ;)

You won't regret getting one. They're fantastic.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Joshua Smith wrote:Geeze dude. These things cost like twelve bucks.
[sarcasm]How about that! A piece of hi tech gear I can actually afford![/sarcasm]
Sounds like there is one in my future. Maybe Santa will put one in my stocking. :taco:

Thanks for the input guys and girls
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:Alright, enough rubbing it in! I don't have a CCR and I can't afford a Shearwater either. :angryblue: :angryblue: :angryblue:

Where are they $12? DRIS and ScubaToys show them in the middle 20's.

Yes, I know, that still isn't a lot.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

ArcticDiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Yeah mine was between $25 and $30. No idea where it's for sale for $12 =O
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

At the dive shows they're usually cheaper.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ArcticDiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

I could swear that mine was about $12- I bought it from Silent Scuba at their booth at the dive expo a few years back. But I could be wrong.

I guess after I spent my second 10 thousand bucks on gear, I kind of really did start thinking in "scuba units"- where 1 SU= $100. so, at < 1 SU, this purchase barely even hit my radar.

[sarcasm](I used to have a delusional mental condition that caused me to think I was rich. I'm getting better, thanks for asking. It's a process. One day at a time, you know? Are you going to eat that? [Om nom nom] hey, uh- I need to catch a bus to get my car out of impound, and, like, my wallet is actually IN the car....anyway, could I borrow a few bucks? No? Hey, where are you....OK! See you later! Great catching up with you!)[/sarcasm]

Sorry if I gave anyone false hope. Yes, the line cutters apparently cost 2x as much as I thought they did. Still an excellent value, IMO.

Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I'm going to put one in my own stocking, I just need to decide on a color.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Joshua Smith wrote: I guess after I spent my second 10 thousand bucks on gear, I kind of really did start thinking in "scuba units"- where 1 SU= $100. so, at < 1 SU, this purchase barely even hit my radar.
At my house we have created a new currency called the "ScubaBuck"(SB). $1SB = $100USD or $125SGD. :)

It just sounds so much better to say "Oh, my new light? It was $10 ScubaBucks." LOL

Laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

OK, got the price squared away. Now what is so great about this that is better than the run of the mill seat belt cutter that IS $10 or so?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ArcticDiver wrote:OK, got the price squared away. Now what is so great about this that is better than the run of the mill seat belt cutter that IS $10 or so?
Dunno. I bought mine after trying it out on some 3/8 poly line at the dive show. To say it cuts "like a hot knife through butter" is an understatement. So I bought one. I really like it. A run of the mill seat belt cutter might be a better deal, for all I know.

camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

I've been using my ex-skydiving hook knife for years. They're cheap, disposable, and do exactly the same thing for a lot less money. I'm sure the Eezycut is nice, but the first time I saw it, I thought it was ridiculously priced, too. I still think that :)

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p1155.asp is a link to one of the big online skydiving suppliers that has a wide selection available for a wide range of prices. Some are disposable (in the $7 range) to the $50 range if your really want to get fancy.

We used them in case of reserve parachutes that deployed with line-overs, or to cut in the case of main-reserve entanglements. I never had to pull it in 400+ jumps, but then again, I packed carefully and never had a malfunction, either...

IMNSHO they're one of the most effective tools for cutting any kind of line out there... essential part of my cave gear in particular.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

They have a long razor sharp blade on 2 sides and the way it's designed it slides through stuff a seat belt cutter would have to saw through and the blades are replaceable so if it gets dull or rusts it easy to replace.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Whopee! Santa put one in my stocking! Great piece of kit! So small light and easy to store safely and cutting line is so easy you can't miss.

Thanks Santa!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Mine too!!!!!!!!! P!nk even!!!!!!!

lucky us!
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"