Shooters

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Shooters

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
spatman wrote:
Nwcid wrote:
coulterboy wrote:How about let's have a 300 yard shootout one of these days at your backyard. That would be a blast. We could setup balloons at 300 yards and shoot it all day (I mean, lots of balloons). That way, we don't have to walk and check every now and then if we hit paper. My .300 Win Mag's barrel needs to be warm again. I'll bring the brats to be grilled.

I have offered that before many time and no one has taken me up on it. Spring is best. There is no walking out to set stuff up, I have ATV's.

Balloons are fun but I have steel targets. Another one that is super cool is save up your used bottles and fill them with water. It is super cool to shoot them with silenced rifles, watch the target explode then hear the impact about 1 second later.

I only have one spare couch but I have lots of "camping" room.

I even live 15 min away from a diveable body of water, Lake Roosevelt. There is not much to see and in the spring the water will be WAY down.
I don't know jack about rifles or shooting in general, really, but that sounds like a lot of fun.
Pitch in for some ammo and we can shoot my Remington PSS .308. It's a tack driver. Not much fun at 100 yards, because all the bullets keep going through the same hole. At 300, it's a lot more about skill.
I'm in.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

camerone wrote:
It's getting hard to find certain guns these days, too. Been wanting a Ruger Mini-30 for a while, just to have something 7.62 with some accuracy (unlike an AK), but they're apparently manufactured out of un-obtanium or other such alloy...
Look into a M1a, better rifle, better accuracy.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jeff Pack wrote:
camerone wrote:
It's getting hard to find certain guns these days, too. Been wanting a Ruger Mini-30 for a while, just to have something 7.62 with some accuracy (unlike an AK), but they're apparently manufactured out of un-obtanium or other such alloy...
Look into a M1a, better rifle, better accuracy.
Agreed. Plus, I thought the mini 30 was just a mythical beast, like a unicorn?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

can you get out to 5-600 yards safely ?

have a savage ftr that is begging for some longer distances.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Joshua Smith wrote: Agreed. Plus, I thought the mini 30 was just a mythical beast, like a unicorn?
They exist, but the bigger mag is even harder to find than the rifle itself. The 4-round flush-mount comes standard, but I prefer higher capacity.

The thing is that the Russian/Yugo ammo is so cheap; yeah, it's crappy, but it's seriously cheap. 500 rounds of .308/7.62x51 NATO is just shy of $375 while 500 rounds of 7.62x39 is just $135.

The M1a is a fantastic rifle... the Ruger is half the cost and I can shoot ~3 shots for every one I put through the M1a. One's gotta hit outta three. If I used an AK, the ratio might not be quite so good :)

Seems like the M1a is hard to come by these days, too.

Anyway - to the original thread... if I'm home in Washington, I'm in for a weekend. Might be fun to do some handgun moving-and-shooting and drawing drills too, where there's space. I don't get the opportunity to do those very often and I think they're really important.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Burntchef wrote:can you get out to 5-600 yards safely ?

If you are talking about me 300 yards is about max for my area.

I do have some targets out at 400 yards and you might be able to get 500 yards of it. It is from my house, it is safe, but is of questionable legalities.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

camerone wrote:
Seems like the M1a is hard to come by these days, too.
There are plenty out there, just not cheep.
Anyway - to the original thread... if I'm home in Washington, I'm in for a weekend. Might be fun to do some handgun moving-and-shooting and drawing drills too, where there's space. I don't get the opportunity to do those very often and I think they're really important.
You can draw and shoot, no issue along with forward/rear movement. Lateral movement is limited but some is possible.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Nwcid wrote:
Burntchef wrote:can you get out to 5-600 yards safely ?

If you are talking about me 300 yards is about max for my area.

I do have some targets out at 400 yards and you might be able to get 500 yards of it. It is from my house, it is safe, but is of questionable legalities.

would still be fun, but definitley dont want to get into a gray area.

anyone here a member of sgn ?
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

:popcorn:

Interesting thread. Most of you have confirmed my suspicions, but a few of you have surprised me.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Does anyone know of a good place to go shooting on the east side? I mean east side as in "a reasonable drive from Woodinville," not the eastern side of the state.

I have a couple of spots on a map that I need to recon, but if anyone can point me to a good spot that you can vouch for I'd really appreciate it. (PM might be a good idea too.)

I would be doing pistol, shotgun, and AR plinking, if it matters.

Someday, I want to get back into IPSC, or try USPSA... I'm a pistol guy at heart. Haven't gone to a match in ages, too many other hobbies (like scuba).
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Matt S. wrote:Does anyone know of a good place to go shooting on the east side? I mean east side as in "a reasonable drive from Woodinville," not the eastern side of the state.

I have a couple of spots on a map that I need to recon, but if anyone can point me to a good spot that you can vouch for I'd really appreciate it. (PM might be a good idea too.)

Someday, I want to get back into IPSC, or try USPSA... I'm a pistol guy at heart. Haven't gone to a match in ages, too many other hobbies (like scuba).
Years ago, me and my friends used to go shoot at the Sultan basin. It was getting really scary there, though.....lots of people with no clue about gun safety spraying bullets everywhere, stolen vehicles being ditched....it was kind of like bartertown or something.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Matt S. wrote:Does anyone know of a good place to go shooting on the east side? I mean east side as in "a reasonable drive from Woodinville," not the eastern side of the state.

Depends on if you're talking about an isolated logging road or an actual range....

In terms of "actual" ranges, Shooting Sports Northwest in Mill Creek is a great indoor range for pistol, shotgun and rifle (up to .308). I go there a lot, along with several other NWDC members. For distance, the Kenmore Gun Range is a darn good choice, with a 100 yard range for the general public and 200 and 300 yard ranges for members only.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I've been to an informal shooting site off road 5510 South of I-90 (47° 21' 50.27"N, 121° 31' 52.62"W) a few times. It is far enough from I-90 to be outside the no-shooting zone. It is only good for about 50 yards unless you are willing to hike targets up the slope and due to an approximate 3300' altitude is seasonal. The road is in decent shape and most 2WD vehicles shouldn't have any issues getting there. Obviously there is no range officer so you have to be willing to leave if other shooters are not willing to collaborate to keep things safe. There are enough folks that can't be bothered to clean up after themselves to make it a good place to pick up brass if you reload.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

That is news I can use, thanks! :)
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I'm happy to see that there are so many like minded people on this board. Due to a very demanding work schedule I haven't been diving nearly as much as I would have liked to this past year but for a variety of reasons I've been working on establishing a bit of a firearms collection. I still consider myself a newb but I'd be interested in learning something about longer range shooting. If I can get some glass for my new DPMS .308 semi auto in time I'll bring that. Also, if others are interested in a local meet and shoot I'd be down for that as well.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

keep me in the loop too -- don't have much of a gun collection anymore, but I love target shooting :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have never been to the Bothell range for anything but clays. But I know they have pistol and some sort of rifle range as well. I have no idea if your AR would or wouldn't be allowed caliber-wise or what the rifle hours were. Clays were available into the mid-evening hours however (7 or 8 pm). I enjoyed single clays there a few years back, even if I suck at it (forgetabout doubles).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

CaptnJack wrote: I have never been to the Bothell range for anything but clays. But I know they have pistol and some sort of rifle range as well. I have no idea if your AR would or wouldn't be allowed caliber-wise or what the rifle hours were. Clays were available into the mid-evening hours however (7 or 8 pm). I enjoyed single clays there a few years back, even if I suck at it (forgetabout doubles).
I assume that you mean the Kenmore Range, which most folks think of as Bothell, but please correct me if that's not so. You'd be surprised at how much it has been enhanced. Several shotgun ranges (both trap and skeet), several pistol ranges (including an ISPC Range), and three rifle ranges (100, 200 and 300 yards). There are also three different archery ranges, including an extensive woodland walk-through one with critter targets for bowhunters. They also have a small shop on-site for members to purchase ammo at discount prices.

I'm not a member there, but visited recently and was enormously impressed. I'll probably join next year.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Well its in Bothell but called the Kenmore range. I realize now we are talking about the same place.
http://www.wcwinc.org/

Sadly its too far away from me in Kitsap now. It was fun shooting clays there a few evenings after work though.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

The Kenmore rifle range rules say that you can only load 1 round at a time. I always though that was just too strict to be enjoyable. It will also prevent you from really making sure the rifle operates as it should, some feed problems won't be apparent under those conditions. I don't think the pistol range is that bad though.

It sure LOOKS like a nice place.

http://www.wcwinc.org/range/rrules.htm

" 8. All centerfire rifles will be loaded one round at a time. Rimfire .22’s may be loaded with no more than 5 rounds at a time."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Matt S. wrote:The Kenmore rifle range rules say that you can only load 1 round at a time. I always though that was just too strict to be enjoyable. It will also prevent you from really making sure the rifle operates as it should, some feed problems won't be apparent under those conditions. I don't think the pistol range is that bad though.

It sure LOOKS like a nice place.

http://www.wcwinc.org/range/rrules.htm

" 8. All centerfire rifles will be loaded one round at a time. Rimfire .22’s may be loaded with no more than 5 rounds at a time."
Yep. They really mean it, too.

renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I haven't been to the Kenmore Range because it hasn't had a reputation of being a fun place to shoot suffering all the ills of a open to the public range with the addition of a range staff that in the past, suffered the reputation of being unpleasant. Perhaps things are better now but the one round loaded rule isn't consistent with the way I like to shoot.

I have a friend that was a member of Interlake Sporting Association which has private ranges in an unincorporated area between Kirkland and Redmond. It was a very pleasant place to shoot and usually we had the entire place to ourselves. If you live in the North End or East Side I would recommend thinking about joining there. I think annual membership was less than $200 a year.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Joshua Smith wrote: Yep. They really mean it, too.
I sense a story here...What'd you do, Josh? :popcorn:

I need to find some time to sight in my new rifle this week, if my scope mounting adapter shows up. I got Shanghaied by a nice M1A that seemed to have my name written all over it when I went scouting for a Mini-30 that turned out to be already sold...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

camerone wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: Yep. They really mean it, too.
I sense a story here...What'd you do, Josh? :popcorn:

I need to find some time to sight in my new rifle this week, if my scope mounting adapter shows up. I got Shanghaied by a nice M1A that seemed to have my name written all over it when I went scouting for a Mini-30 that turned out to be already sold...
I got busted loading (gasp) two rounds at a time into a mag. Much chastising and disapproval followed. Which M1A did you get? Those are my favorite rifles. I miss mine.

camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Just the basic one with the walnut stock...what kills me is the back order on magazines is until February. So I have to wait for my extras for quite a while. I also picked up a Bushnell 4-12x by 42mm scope and laser rangefinder. Knowing I was getting the scope meant that it really wasn't worth springing for National Match upgrades on the rifle anyway.