The deep boat float at Mukilteo

General banter about diving and why we love it.
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

The deep boat float at Mukilteo

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

I see someone has installed a new float out there. Anyone know who?

The reason I ask is I've been making one to replace the sunk one and want to make sure the one there gets to its proper home.

Here's a photo, I'm waiting for the caulk to cure enough so I can paint the whole thing white and need to do some touchup on the flags.
The tube is a vent, otherwise completely sealed and completely full of A-B foam.
The tube is a vent, otherwise completely sealed and completely full of A-B foam.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: The deep boat float at Mukilteo

Post by Jeremy »

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Looks great.. Id stick it out there anyway
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
DiveZen
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DiveZen »

Feel free to replace the yellow buoy with yours. I'll help if I'm free that day. We wired in the shackles so it will require pliers to remove the wire prior to unshackling the chain. Chain from buoy is shackled to itself at roughly 10' and then a few feet further down shackled to the old chain below the crabpot floats. I'll convert the buoy into a down line for shipwrecks if we don't need it in Mul. Nice job on the custom one!
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

I'll take a look at the setup probably next weekend. Look for a PM from me.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Very nice job! It will make the swim seem so much shorter having such a classy target to aim for! :notworthy:
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

Thought I'd add some "making of" shots.

The tire is an old oval track one I used on my car for drag racing. Not as good as drag slicks, but consistent. Light and no steel belts to drill through! The signboard is some stainless I had lying around the garage.
Internal structure. Pressure treated wood from a planter I'm demolishing. The top and bottom plates are from a fiberglass shower surround someone dumped along side of road near work.
Internal structure. Pressure treated wood from a planter I'm demolishing. The top and bottom plates are from a fiberglass shower surround someone dumped along side of road near work.
First foam pour.
First foam pour.
Half foamed.
Half foamed.
Coaxing foam into the crannies.
Coaxing foam into the crannies.
Final pour curing.
Final pour curing.
Top sealed up. Bottom looks the same with large eyebolt sticking out the middle. Eyebolt is HDG and coated with POR-15, all other hardware is stainless and covered with polysulfone caulk.
Top sealed up. Bottom looks the same with large eyebolt sticking out the middle. Eyebolt is HDG and coated with POR-15, all other hardware is stainless and covered with polysulfone caulk.
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

Looks nice! Keep an eye on your SS hardware. In commercial buoy work we use hot-dipped galvanized hardware.
SS fittings can corrode in seawater after some time goes by. Strange as it may seem, the HD galv stuff will last longer
(Usually). Are you applying any grade of a hard anti-fouling paint? Good lookin' rig!
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Randy what do you know about rigging buoys? I mean come on! :neener:
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

I get you on the SS hardware, that's why it's all heavily covered with caulk. Since the eyebolt will take wear, it's HDG and two coats of POR-15 over that.

If I had some antifouling paint, I'd use it on the bottom; but I can't justify $40-50 for a quart of paint when I'll only use a half pint of it and the rest will go bad. :eek:
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Very Nice! That is awesome- thank you! :joshsmith:
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

Got some anti-fouling paint courtesy of dive buddy (and boss). Will be finishing it up this weekend, with luck it will be in the water for the poker dive next Sunday.
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

One more coat of anti fouling paint and it's finished. My plan is to give it plenty of time to cure and install it next Saturday, probably in the morning. When I have time worked out with DB I'll post it here.

The white is Flex Seal Brite (As Seen On TV); I figured this would be a good torture test for it. For anti fouling I'm using Interlux Fiberglas BottomKote with 25% cuprous oxide; for this purpose it should work. The web of ropes is keeping the handles off the uncured paint.
White Flex Seal
White Flex Seal
Anti fouling
Anti fouling
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Dumb question here but what is "anti-fouling paint"? Never heard of that before. The new float definitely looks great.
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

As I said many times in my sailing instructor years, there are no dumb questions.

Anti fouling paint is paint ( :) ) that has a biocide in it which keeps marine organisms, taking the forms of shell, weed, and algae from attaching themselves to the painted object. The most common type is copper based with cuprous oxide (Cu2O) as the active ingredient. It's not as effective as tributyltin based paints, but those have been banned for anything other than aluminum (copper paints on aluminum boats make the boats disappear...) And copper based paints have been banned in WA effective 2020; if this is still out there in 8 years I'll pull it and remove the paint. :rawlings: (< me in 8 years)

The former float out there had a huge mussel colony on it, which no doubt contributed to its demise and descent.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Outstanding work! :supz:
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

DB's daughter is coming in for the weekend and he may not be available.

So, here's the plan. I''ll be arriving at the site at about 1030 Saturday morning. If I have help we'll put it in place, if not I'll head home. :) I hope to see you there.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Me and my regular dive buddy will be there to help. This is a great looking buoy. Will be nice to have a flag buoy there again. Thanks for putting this together.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
kundalinichi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kundalinichi »

I'll be there to help however possible.
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

With assistance from Larry McGaughey and Don Bechtold, the float is in place. And the scooter made the trips out and back much better!.

Enjoy it!
Float installed
Float installed
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Thank you. And Larry and Don. I was the diver cheering you on as you were swimming out with the buoy. My hands were so cold by then that I could imagine how hard it would be to cut the seizing, remove the shackle, and replace it. Good job.
-Curt :salute:
Happy to be alive.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Thank you so much guys.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Great job guys!
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

Now I need to figure out how to get the interim float to its owner. PM me and we'll figure something out.