Nikonos IV-A, is it worth anything?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Nikonos IV-A, is it worth anything?

Post by ldevore »

I have a Nikonos IV-A underwater camera with strobe. Is it worth anything these days? Is there any way I could use the strobe with my point-n-shoot Olympus camera in an UW housing?

Thanks!

Lauri
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Nikonos IV-A, is it worth anything?

Post by lundysd »

Lauri,

Depending on its condition, you could get a little bit on ebay for it (usually 100-200 with strobe if it's in good condition). which strobe do you have? You can buy an Ikelite optical trigger and run it in slave mode perhaps....

Then again, if you ahve some patience and a few rolls of film, the nikonos itself can take some pretty wicked photos :)
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

lundysd wrote:Lauri,

Depending on its condition, you could get a little bit on ebay for it (usually 100-200 with strobe if it's in good condition). which strobe do you have? You can buy an Ikelite optical trigger and run it in slave mode perhaps....

Then again, if you ahve some patience and a few rolls of film, the nikonos itself can take some pretty wicked photos :)

In order to use your older strobe with your digital camera you might have to play around with your camera's 'pre-flash' settings. A pre-flash that is turned on will confuse the older strobe's slave sensor and cause it to fire before the camera's shutter activates.

As for the Nikonos camera's worth, if it came with a lens other than the stock 35mm lens it might be worth something. Other than that.... its a museum piece. (I've got a couple of Nikonos Vs sitting around )

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

Of the various Nikonos cameras, the IV-A will probably bring the least since it was the most troublesome. I recently got $45 for one on eBay with a 35mm lens. I felt lucky to get that!