Cave line

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Cave line

Post by Nwcid »

We have been tying off our bolt snaps with cave line using a "cave" knot as found on many online sites.

We have a pair of DRIS 1000 lights that we have used (been on about 6 dives) them only a few times now. The other day I was looking at the knot and the lines that wrapped though the light were frayed. With one good twist on the bolt snap the line broke away. Is this normal?

We have our regs, SPG's, ect all tied the same way with no issues. I am just worried about losing our lights as that gets expensive. Unless there is a better way to tie I think I am going to use some P-cord to tie them off this time.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Cave line

Post by CaptnJack »

You might need to round off the edge of the holes in the DRIS light. Does not sound like a line or a knot issue - more like a sharp edge.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Industrial grade zip-ties work really well, too, instead of cave line. You can still cut them if you had to, but they won't fray on you, and they're much easier to apply. Just make sure you get good ones, as the cheapies will snap or break too easily...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I would advise putting a SS split ring in the light hole then tie to it. That will get rid of the abrasion point
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Dusty2 wrote:I would advise putting a SS split ring in the light hole then tie to it. That will get rid of the abrasion point
That's the metal-on-metal issue that the cave line's designed to avoid in the first place. If you're okay with that, then it's a good solution, too.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Good points guys. I think I will start with P-cord since I have tons of it here. If I have a problem with that I will try one of the other options.

I just wanted to make sure I was not doing something wrong with the "cave" line.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:You might need to round off the edge of the holes in the DRIS light. Does not sound like a line or a knot issue - more like a sharp edge.
How would you recommend doing that? I have a backup light with the same problem.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:You might need to round off the edge of the holes in the DRIS light. Does not sound like a line or a knot issue - more like a sharp edge.
How would you recommend doing that? I have a backup light with the same problem.
Little rat-tail file from Harbor Freight? Sandpaper rolled into a tiny tube? I suspect there's just a really sharp edge on the hole the line is being threaded through. Tying the line super tight can also help keep it from "sawing" on edges like this, but not a cure-all. If you tie the line while wet you can get it tighter, then let dry and put a drop of super glue on the knot before diving.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

In machining, there is a deburring tool for doing exactly that.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Jeff Pack wrote:In machining, there is a deburring tool for doing exactly that.
Easy on the outside but not the inside and doing so will expose the bare aluminum which will corrode badly since the casing is electrically charged. Electrolysis is bad stuff
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

camerone wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:I would advise putting a SS split ring in the light hole then tie to it. That will get rid of the abrasion point
That's the metal-on-metal issue that the cave line's designed to avoid in the first place. If you're okay with that, then it's a good solution, too.
I believe Dusty is suggesting tying to the split ring, avoiding the "metal on metal" issue to the bolt snap. You can still cut away the light between the split ring and the bolt snap.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dusty2 wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:In machining, there is a deburring tool for doing exactly that.
Easy on the outside but not the inside and doing so will expose the bare aluminum which will corrode badly since the casing is electrically charged. Electrolysis is bad stuff
The casing's probably the ground but the positive terminal couldn't be exposed to create a electrolytic connect through seawater (the light wouldn't light if it did). Line or split ring the anodizing is going to wear in the hole eventually, faster if the edge is sharp.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

spatman wrote:
I have a dremel tool with a little metal grinding bit on it that would work perfectly if you want to use it.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ORDiver wrote:
spatman wrote:
I have a dremel tool with a little metal grinding bit on it that would work perfectly if you want to use it.
Excellent.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If the fancy dremel doesn't work out, Harbor Freight is your friend...
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-p ... -4614.html