Lovely little octo babies!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Lovely little octo babies!

Post by eliseaboo »

The red octopus at the Port Townsend Marine Science Center was added to the exhibit last March, just a few weeks before opening weekend. My boss was somewhat disappointed that it was a red octopus and not a GPO, but I had high hopes, having photographed many wandering red octos in the greater Puget Sound area. And she was a wonderful exhibit animal - hungry, curious, and personable. I said good morning to her each day and bid her farewell every time I walked out.

Unknown to us, she had already had an encounter with a male. About a month before my position ended (early August) she laid her eggs. I feared they weren't fertile, since I doubted an animal could store sperm as long as she did (at least five months!).

The eggs began to eye up a month or two after I left. They hatched on Saturday.
Babies!
Babies!
Life is amazing. There's a video on the PTMSC Facebook page as well, which shows the octopus blowing the babies out of the den with her siphon. I'm sad I did not get to be there, but happy the internet provides such nice alternatives!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Lovely little octo babies!

Post by John Rawlings »

That's absolutely WONDERFUL!!! I'll be that your former boss is happy with her now!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Adorable! What will happen next with them?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

:luv:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Awesome, Life has a way of surprising us when we least expect it. We need a link to the video.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Baby octopuses are amazing. The night I was lucky enough to watch a GPO hatch was one of the most awe-inspiring dives I've ever done. And you didn't have to be freezing cold, or do any deco, to watch yours!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Penopolypants wrote:Adorable! What will happen next with them?
Back in August I momentarily had this crazy plan to stay and be the first person to ever raise a red octopus in captivity. Then after about .08 seconds I realized how ridiculous that was.

So they're next to impossible to raise in captivity, as is the case with almost all small-egg octopus species. Plus PTMSC isn't properly equipped to raise really any larval creatures, as they usually require very, very specific foods and water conditions. They'll be gently captured with a turkey baster and released under the pier.

And yes, my former boss warmed up to her very quickly, even without the eggs :)
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

I hope your boss is advertising this or at least letting the local schools know about it. I have never seen an octopus hatchling and I've been diving for 31 years. This would be a wonderful event to share with the public.

Thanks for letting us know about the babies.

Second edit --- Why is typing in bold? Just so everyone knows, I am not yelling.....
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
edofleini
Just Settling In

Post by edofleini »

An interesting little piece of information that reds will store sperm that long. Thanks for posting this.
edofleini
Just Settling In

Post by edofleini »

LCF wrote:Baby octopuses are amazing. The night I was lucky enough to watch a GPO hatch was one of the most awe-inspiring dives I've ever done. And you didn't have to be freezing cold, or do any deco, to watch yours!
Do you recall the date and what time of night you saw the hatch? That would be useful information for me.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I don't have the exact date, but it was toward the end of September in 2010, at about 9 pm or so. Apparently the entire hatch took several days, as my buddies had been down the couple of nights previously, as well.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

edofleini wrote:
LCF wrote:Baby octopuses are amazing. The night I was lucky enough to watch a GPO hatch was one of the most awe-inspiring dives I've ever done. And you didn't have to be freezing cold, or do any deco, to watch yours!
Do you recall the date and what time of night you saw the hatch? That would be useful information for me.
Hi there,

Caught three different hatches in 2010. First one the mother died before the hatch, and it was very short and not many offspring in total. The second hatch was monstrous and wonderful, lasting a full week and most eggs hatching successfully with swarms and swarms of babies. The third hatch was lovely but also short, maybe 2-3 nights total but a lot of offspring.

We saw all hatching at nighttime, starting up around 8:30pm and going until we called it a night... 1:30am was our latest dive time over all 3 hatches. Footage of the 2nd and 3rd hatch are on YouTube under Seainggreen.

Sharing that hatch with you, Lynne, was a lot of fun. I will agree that witnessing a major hatch event remains in my top 3 dives of all time. It was magical and amazing. :)

Laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC