China Wall\Blakely rock

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Don-B
Dive-aholic

China Wall\Blakely rock

Post by Don-B »

Made it out today to China Wall\ Blakely Rock with Macdiver.
The top of the wall( big rocks) starts at 65ft and the bottom is about 100ft.
It is full of large cracks and small caves.
I counted 5 GPO's that were huge.
They we all in there dens but from what I could tell they were in the 10-15ft range.
Lots of rock fish and some huge lings too.
I was able to see some new fish for me. like a Sailfin Sculpin and what I think mite be a northern spearnose poacher.
There is just a ton of life out there.
I took a video but it doesn't do it justice.
I will try to pull some good parts out and post them tomorrow.

octo.jpg
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: China Wall\Blakely rock

Post by LCF »

China Wall is a great dive -- great structure, and always interesting critters.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Hope you had some good dives on the Rock. We were in my red RIB just west of you on China Wall. If I had know that was your boat I woulda come over and said hi.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

CaptnJack wrote:Hope you had some good dives on the Rock. We were in my red RIB just west of you on China Wall. If I had know that was your boat I woulda come over and said hi.
You must have came in after we left. We were tied up on the buoy and were gone by 11:30
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Don-B wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Hope you had some good dives on the Rock. We were in my red RIB just west of you on China Wall. If I had know that was your boat I woulda come over and said hi.
You must have came in after we left. We were tied up on the buoy and were gone by 11:30
Someone else was on Blakely rock then. About 28ft, twin suzuki 90hp OBs and a green or blue/green canvas cover over the aft deck.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Thanks, Don, for the recap. I haven't dove Blakely Rock in about a year. The structure is beautiful - and it seems that this area (and the high current) attracts the larger GPOs. Nice to know that the big ones are still hangin' out there! :taco:
sekhmet
Avid Diver

Post by sekhmet »

did you see any juvenile yelloweye rockfish at the wall? They are black and white striped fish. I love that dive!
"Fish Worship: Is It Wrong?"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The juvenile yelloweyes are actually red and white striped, so they would probably look black and white without lights.

Here is a nice image by our own Janna Nichols:

"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

No juvenile yelloweyes. Lots of browns, quillbacks and a few coppers though.