Galloping Gertie 12/30

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dalcodiver
Avid Diver

Galloping Gertie 12/30

Post by dalcodiver »

Finished off the dive year today with a dive on Galloping Gertie with Bryan McLean. Started and finished the dive on old bridge debris for the entire dive. Vis was around 30ft until my primary light failed 3 minutes into the dive and I had to finish the dive on my backup light. Still found quite a few rockfish and a couple of lingcod swimming amongst the bridge debris. Contrary to popular rumors no large octopus were seen during the dive. This is one of my favorite dive in the south sound. Going back on Tuesday to start the new dive year off right.
Attachments
100_1705.JPG
If I'm not diving unfortunately I'm working.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Re: Galloping Gertie 12/30

Post by Mortuus »

Awesome! What depth were you at? If I understand correctly, the bridge wreckage spans from ~130'-240'?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There's bridge wreckage as shallow as 45-50ft on the east side, mostly roadbed. Caissons in about 80ft. To see metal you have to go deeper, beyond the wartime salvage range.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dalcodiver
Avid Diver

Post by dalcodiver »

We were diving the west side of the Narrows in 150ft of water about
300ft from the west bridge stanchion. You can find a fair amount of bridge girders
and road deck there if you go west from there you can find debris from
the construction of the new bridge. Mostly excess cable, cable ties and a
ladder, just to the NE of the old bridge stanchion is a large anchor block in 125ft.
If I'm not diving unfortunately I'm working.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I new a guy who was working on the new bridge when they lost a whole roll of cable. The weight of the cable pulled the whole spool in to the water from the top of the structure. Unfortunately, that is one dive I have never done....Yet!
Thanks for the report! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: