FS: Sea & Sea DX-2G, tray/arm, YS-01 TTL strobe DROP TO $699

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
Matt S.
Submariner

FS: Sea & Sea DX-2G, tray/arm, YS-01 TTL strobe DROP TO $699

Post by Matt S. »

EDIT: Price drop to $699.

I just upgraded cameras, and so I am selling my used (but well cared for!) rig.

LOOK AT ALL YOU GET!
  • Sea & Sea DX-2G camera, battery, charger, and soft case (specs: http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/compac ... index.html)
  • Sea & Sea DX-2G housing and LCD hood
  • YS-01 TTL strobe, fiberoptic cable, and diffuser (specs: http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/strobe/ys01/index.html)
  • Tray and arm, with a couple of other arm segments of different length
  • O-ring tool, special Sea & Sea o-ring grease
  • Manuals for everything
  • A/V cable for the camera that you will never use
  • Camera hand straps for land and housing use
  • Soft nylon case that is just barely big enough for everything if you pack it in like a jigsaw
I am asking $699. The camera is a few years old now so isn't sold commonly, but you may find this DX-2G and YS-01 "sport package" for $1700 new if you look around. One was listed on ScubaBoard for $950 used a couple of months ago too.

What else will you need to start shooting? 4x AA batteries for the strobe, an SD card and whatever kind of bolt snaps and retractors you favor to secure the rig to you during a dive. (You can use alkaline AAs, but if you want rechargeables you must use low-self-discharge batteries, sold under the Sanyo Eneloop brand among others.)

I have used this camera/strobe combo for a few years. It's a pretty nice point & shoot style rig. There is a little bit of tape residue on the outside of the housing, but the equipment is very healthy--I never had a leak, and you can't see a speck of corrosion on the button shafts. I'm very confident the camera, housing, and strobe will give trouble-free service. (However, I would advise getting new o-rings for the camera and strobe, they are not intended to last forever and it's prudent to replace them every year or so.)

Here are some sample pictures from my Roatan trip in 2010: http://wrongcrowd.com/gallery/fi

The DX-2G is actually a Ricoh GX200 with different firmware, and it's a pretty decent pocket land camera too. I was actually really impressed with the menu systems, it offers a lot of manual control. There is even a "snap" focus mode that takes advantage of hyperfocal distance shooting. Wide angle and macro lenses are available for the DX-2G housing, though I don't have any experience with them.

The TTL flash metering with the YS-01 works pretty well. I always shot with the strobe in TTL and the camera in manual mode, 1/125, and adjusted aperture as needed to allow for more or less background light. The camera and strobe easily lasted for 2 or more dives.

Any questions, let me know.
Attachments
dx2g-package.jpg
Last edited by Matt S. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: FS: Sea & Sea DX-2G, tray/arm, YS-01 TTL strobe $800

Post by cardiver »

This is a great set up for macro work. IIRC you could focus down to 1-2 cm and get some stellar shots.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Yes, I was pretty pleased with that... and that was even without adding a lens. It really is a good kit and I only got a new rig because of a gear avalanche that started with the Canon S100 on Black Friday sale for $230. Next thing I know, I have a new case, and WA lens, and heck why not get a YS-D1 too and double my flash power... Sigh! Having Optical Ocean in town is dangerous, I tell you.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Matt S. wrote:Yes, I was pretty pleased with that... and that was even without adding a lens. It really is a good kit and I only got a new rig because of a gear avalanche that started with the Canon S100 on Black Friday sale for $230. Next thing I know, I have a new case, and WA lens, and heck why not get a YS-D1 too and double my flash power... Sigh! Having Optical Ocean in town is dangerous, I tell you.
If they would match prices on line I would have bought the last two kits I put together from them...... :smt064
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

They matched price for me, but I am sure that they can't do that on everything they stock. It was fortunate that what I wanted was something they had flexibility on.

Obviously I like to support locals, but I can't throw money away, either!
Matt S.
Submariner

Re: FS: Sea & Sea DX-2G, tray/arm, YS-01 TTL strobe DROP TO

Post by Matt S. »

Bump for a price drop to $699.