WTB: Used PADI Nitrox course materials

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

WTB: Used PADI Nitrox course materials

Post by kf7lze »

I'm looking for a used crew pack for the PADI Nitrox specialty. The shop I frequent wants $70 for it, I'm finding new ones online from various places for about $50 + shipping.

It's three tables, a DVD, and a book. Surely someone has a set they're no longer using, and can offer it cheaper?
-J.W.
mpenders
Submariner

Re: WTB: Used PADI Nitrox course materials

Post by mpenders »

kf7lze wrote:Surely someone has a set they're no longer using, and can offer it cheaper?
Are you purely looking for knowledge - or is it your intent to get Nitrox certified? If it's the latter, your instructor will (should) require you to tear out the completed Knowledge Review pages from the manual, which she/he will retain. Before paying for a used book, make sure the Knowledge Review pages are still intact - or you might end up buying another. :banghead:
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

Yeah, I wanted to use it to get certified with...

That's terribly annoying about the tear-out pages. From the Adventures in Diving textbook for specialties, I've been photocopying the tear-out pages and turning in the copies so the book stays nice.

So yeah: intact preferred. Although I won't ask questions if I end up with a torn-out book and a PDF of the missing pages.
-J.W.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kf7lze wrote:Yeah, I wanted to use it to get certified with...

That's terribly annoying about the tear-out pages. From the Adventures in Diving textbook for specialties, I've been photocopying the tear-out pages and turning in the copies so the book stays nice.

So yeah: intact preferred. Although I won't ask questions if I end up with a torn-out book and a PDF of the missing pages.
this may or may not be ok, depends on the instructor. Obviously there's a bit of a scam going on requiring you to buy a new pak from a shop. You might have a hard time finding the complete package anyway since the book and the tables are easily seperated. I still have my tables from years ago (they are a decent laminated plastic), but my book is long gone.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Just make sure your instructor is okay with that process, as it goes against PADI policy. Obtaining a Specialty Certification is a bit different than doing an Adventure Dive, and each their own requirements.

I don't have one for you in either condition - just trying to provide info that might save you some money/grief.

**Looks like CaptnJack beat me to a response while I was typing. For what it's worth - I also still have the 3 slates/tables stored in my dive log, just in case I need 'em.
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll confirm their policy about hand-outs before I buy anything. (But anyone reading this, if you do have one, feel free to send me a note still.)

I've seen a few places selling the set of tables, and the video, separately online for $4-10. The actual textbook, though, seems to be unobtanium for the reasons mentioned in this thread.

It's ultimately not a big deal on price, just seems a little silly for something I'm sure will just collect dust on the shelf.
Last edited by kf7lze on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-J.W.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The tables are worth $5 if you lose them or just want spares.
The video isn't worth anything after the class, hence the bargain prices. And the books get ripped up.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.