Outrageous Deal on Camera and Housing

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Outrageous Deal on Camera and Housing

Post by Dusty2 »

I think Adorama and Olympus stocks just went up! With all these new high end P&S rigs I expect the photo competition to be hot and heavy this year.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I looked at this and then did some review reading. Slow and erratic focusing keeps coming up often enough to think this may be a real issue. My wife had a Nikon that had similar reviews and indeed ended up having problems on dives. Drove her nuts.
This makes me hesitate. Any users have comments/experience?
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BDub wrote:On a related note, if anyone picked one of these up and wants a few points on how to use it, our very own lundysd does photo classes from time to time. I've taken Lundy's class, and it's perfect for this type of new user.

Thanks for posting this, Peter (I think)
Yeah, I've been thinking about this class...

AND I need to come up with a good excuse to dive with Lynne & Peter to hear all the little in's and out's and secrets of their camera!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

fmerkel wrote:I looked at this and then did some review reading. Slow and erratic focusing keeps coming up often enough to think this may be a real issue. My wife had a Nikon that had similar reviews and indeed ended up having problems on dives. Drove her nuts.
This makes me hesitate. Any users have comments/experience?
The autofocus on the newer MFT cameras and any DSLR (phase detection autofocus) is much better than these older E-PL1s. But that's part of the reason the package is only $400--the model is a few years old and I suspect Adorama is trying to clear out stock.

It isn't going to be the best system ever but bang for buck should be pretty good. You can't even find a P&S with an equivalently nice housing for this price.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

The first generation kit lens is "slow to focus" compared to a dslr but "how fast is fast?" I went to the E-PL1 from a Canon S80 and found the focus was faster and more accurate on the E-PL1 especially once I upgraded the software for the lens (which all existing kit lenses should have).

As someone said, this is an older system (althoug brand new) and the newer lens and body are faster to focus but, honestly, I haven't found it to be a problem.
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

LCF wrote:I'm going to be excited to hear the reactions of the people who have bought this -- we should start an EPL-1 club!
Sign me up! I think I'm in for a very steep learning curve as it will be a significant step up from my aged point and shoot.

Ross
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I noticed during our class yesterday that, if I put the camera on continuous focus, it was slow and the shutter lag was long. But on spot focus, there was no problem. Once I learned how to put the focus box on what I actually wanted in focus, and look for the green dot, I've had very little problem with getting my pictures to be in focus.

And I'm a complete klutz with a camera, so a good yardstick for "easy to use".
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Strobe Question:

Does anyone know if the Olympus UFL-1 underwater strobe will work with this camera or is it only the UFL - 2?
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Peter Guy wrote: d. If you have a spare $1000, get the Zen dome port and the Olympus 9 - 18 mm lens which will then give you REAL wide angle.
Peter, does the Zen dome port work well with the standard lens that comes with the camera, or do you need to change to the other port when you switch from the wide angle to the lens that comes with the camera?
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Holy crap! This is going to take some getting used to....
Attachments
CIMG2598.JPG
Jenn
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Pretty darn impressive case! I would say it will be a hand full makes your old kit look tiny. Not exactly a compact point and shoot!
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

Mine just came in the mail today. Can't wait to set up a strobe and get it in the water!
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Christmas in January! There's going to be a bunch of these out there soon. Maybe you should start an Olympus EPL-1 page so you guys can compare notes and learn together and all us envious lurkers can watch from the sidelines.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dusty2 wrote:Christmas in January! There's going to be a bunch of these out there soon. Maybe you should start an Olympus EPL-1 page so you guys can compare notes and learn together and all us envious lurkers can watch from the sidelines.
I was thinking the same thing. This is close to the G10 wave that swept the PNW a few years back :)
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Scubie Doo wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:Christmas in January! There's going to be a bunch of these out there soon. Maybe you should start an Olympus EPL-1 page so you guys can compare notes and learn together and all us envious lurkers can watch from the sidelines.
I was thinking the same thing. This is close to the G10 wave that swept the PNW a few years back :)

Or the origianl CASIO thread...
Kirsten
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

To whomever asked about the Zen Dome Port and the kit lens -- it is supposed to work very well together.

Oh, and something that I don't think has been mentioned -- you need to get the "zoom ring" which fits onto the lens so that you can use the zoom while it is in the housing. It may not (probably does not?) come with the setup that Adorama is selling.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Peter Guy wrote:To whomever asked about the Zen Dome Port and the kit lens -- it is supposed to work very well together.

Oh, and something that I don't think has been mentioned -- you need to get the "zoom ring" which fits onto the lens so that you can use the zoom while it is in the housing. It may not (probably does not?) come with the setup that Adorama is selling.
Is that ordered from Olympus or is it an aftermarket item?
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Tom Nic wrote:
Peter Guy wrote:To whomever asked about the Zen Dome Port and the kit lens -- it is supposed to work very well together.

Is that ordered from Olympus or is it an aftermarket item?
I'd like to know as well...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

I found the zoom ring listed for $45 on the Olympus site.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Found them on Backscatter, too.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

So, where can I find a cable to use my Sea and Sea strobe???
Help!!!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Online or go to Seattle - Optical Ocean is I believe the name of the shop. I hear they are good folks, give you a chance to hold gear in your hands, see what works, what doesn't, etc.

Need to make a trip there myself...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Tom Nic wrote:Online or go to Seattle - Optical Ocean is I believe the name of the shop. I hear they are good folks, give you a chance to hold gear in your hands, see what works, what doesn't, etc.

Need to make a trip there myself...
Jack really knows his stuff and should be able to answer any questions you have. He is an Olympus dealer so I would be sure he has the cables you need.

Get with it guys! I want to see some photos. :smt064 :smt064
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Scubak wrote:So, where can I find a cable to use my Sea and Sea strobe???
Help!!!
Kirsten
Did a quick search, and the Oly FO sync cord looks practically identical to the S and S cord. Have you checked to see if the one you already have fits?
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

I realized I have a copy of "Underwater Shooting Tricks Using the PT-EP01 Underwater Case" that was released by Olympus some time ago. It appears I got the file from Optical Oceans -- http://opticaloceansales.com/files/guide_E-PL1.pdf (it took a while to load). While perhaps not a lot of great information, there IS stuff there that might be of interest.

BTW, there is some good info on the Olympus website on tips and tricks for using the system.