Grounded Soon :crybaby:

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Grounded Soon :crybaby:

Post by dwashbur »

Well, neck surgery is scheduled for next Thursday the 31st. The doctor tells me I'll be out of the water for at least 12 weeks, so I'm gonna be living vicariously through all of you for a long time. I'll be glad to get rid of this chronic godawful pain, but I'm not looking forward to the dry spell.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Grounded Soon :crybaby:

Post by Jan K »

Good luck.
Yup, it is not fun being grounded. :(
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

dwashbur wrote: I'm not looking forward to the dry spell.
Bet you Kathy isn't either! Wishing you good luck and a fast uneventful recovery. :supz:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

May the surgery go well and your rehap even better.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

Heal quickly. A doctor told me after one of my surgeries that you will heal faster when you treat the pain as much as you can. IOW, less pain=faster healing.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

My wife just had C4 & C5 vertabrae fused in October. She was out of the water for three months also. If you are going through the same surgery, I would suggest that you INSIST on a hard collar for your recovery. She was given a soft collar and felt like she did not have near enough support for her neck.

Good luck and let us now how you are doing.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The surgery is basically a roto-rooter job. He's going in thru the back and will be reaming out pretty much all of the nerve passages in my entire neck. C2-3 clear down to C7. I had C4-5 and C5-6 fusion in 2004, and the lower one didn't fuse right. So he's going to take a look at that and see if it needs to be fixed. It sounds pretty simple until one realizes that the nerves in those passages operate pretty much my entire body and he's going to be sawing bone all around them.........
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Good luck with your surgery and grace in your recovery Dave.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

dwashbur wrote:The surgery is basically a roto-rooter job. He's going in thru the back and will be reaming out pretty much all of the nerve passages in my entire neck. C2-3 clear down to C7. I had C4-5 and C5-6 fusion in 2004, and the lower one didn't fuse right. So he's going to take a look at that and see if it needs to be fixed. It sounds pretty simple until one realizes that the nerves in those passages operate pretty much my entire body and he's going to be sawing bone all around them.........
Wow, that is quite the surgery!!! I hope all goes well for you. Good luck with your surgery and speedy recovery to you. Strength to your family as well...
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

Dave,
My wife had C5-C6 fused last year and was only out for eight weeks. She is also a nurse at the hospital she had her neck fusion done. She offers her encouragement and says not to worry. She takes care of patients having surgery such as yours frequently. She also says to tell you that the docs will be very careful. It's a bummer to out of the water for so long but to be rid of the pain is much better alternative.