Missing Diver off South Bainbridge

General banter about diving and why we love it.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Missing Diver off South Bainbridge

Post by renoun »

Back in September I wrote
renoun wrote:I suspect in the near future we'll also be hearing about some significant shortcomings in DNR's dive program too.
but I didn't really expect that things were this bad. I'm sure that some of the violations were not that big of a deal ( fire extinguisher tags out of date) but investigators found major issues like a lack of an effective buddy or backup diver, lack of reserve gas, and poorly maintained equipment (regs. with the IP 50 PSI too high that had other than OEM supplied HP seats). Read the attachment if you are interested but I'm comfortable saying that despite the diver's drug use there were issues in DNR's dive program that contributed to his death too. I'm sure that the dive supervisor job posting is an attempt to correct deficiencies in the agencies dive program.
Attachments
2013-01-11 DNR citation.pdf
DNR Dive Program Citation, $172,900 fine - 20 Page PDF
(2.36 MiB) Downloaded 100 times
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Scubie Doo wrote: this affects my taxes
DNR is self funded through timber sales, tidal land lease and other such things. They receive very little "tax" revenue. I'm pretty sure the dive supervisor position will be funded through the fees geoduck harvesters pay. (I haven't looked into it that thoroughly tho). I hope that position keeps illegal and other contraindicated drugs out of DNRs diving program.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

So does DNR service their own regulators? I know most gov't agencies send them out. This report definitely clarifies the legal ramifications of a shop servicing regulators with "black market" parts kits. It's a standard practice in the industry, as the manufacturers require that the shop carry their brand in order to get parts for regulators. We've "toyed" with the idea of swapping...but have chosen to outsource our repairs to a service facility. After reading this...I think we'll continue on that path.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

The use of an aftermarket seat doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that all the hoses were cracked, the power inflator was corroded to the point it didn't work, and they had retrofitted a CO2 life vest inflator to the BC. That and the fact that no one had looked in a tank used in commercial service for more than 2 years... It sounds like their gear was in a state of disrepair that a sport diver would not have put up with.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman