What's this second valve for?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

What's this second valve for?

Post by kf7lze »

Saw a pair of tanks for sale that look like they each have two valves. What's this setup used for?

-J.W.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: What's this second valve for?

Post by Nwbrewer »

That's an H valve. Put a second 1st stage on the other post, and you have redundant 1st stages. Not quite as good as manifolded doubles for redundancy, but better than a single tank/single 1st stage. Don't see them much in the PNW.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

Interesting. So, would I run two first stages each with one second stage? Or do people diving H valves end up with 3 or more second stages?
-J.W.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kf7lze wrote:Interesting. So, would I run two first stages each with one second stage? Or do people diving H valves end up with 3 or more second stages?
Two 1st stages with 1 second stage each would be "normal".
H and Y valves are not very common now that doubles have become so common amongst recreational divers.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

It's Basically a pony setup without the extra bottle. Not much good in an OOA but if you have it setup right it allows you an alternate if you need to shut off a primary free flowing rig.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dusty2 wrote:It's Basically a pony setup without the extra bottle.
more like manifolded doubles but only 1 tank. doubles don't do you much good if your OOA either..
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

Thanks for the info. I was looking at buying those tanks, Worthington LP108s at Discount Divers Supply on Westlake ($300/ea) and was curious about the weirdness. I have a 17cf pony setup so don't see myself using redundant first stages on the H.

I guess I'll change the topic to, "Do you think Worthington LP108s are good tanks?" Looks like they're 97CF @ 2400 or the full 108 @ 2640, so not significantly larger than my Faber LP95 which I don't like very much, but with better buoyancy characteristics (-2 vs +2 empty).
-J.W.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

kf7lze wrote:Thanks for the info. I was looking at buying those tanks, Worthington LP108s at Discount Divers Supply on Westlake ($300/ea) and was curious about the weirdness. I have a 17cf pony setup so don't see myself using redundant first stages on the H.

I guess I'll change the topic to, "Do you think Worthington LP108s are good tanks?" Looks like they're 97CF @ 2400 or the full 108 @ 2640, so not significantly larger than my Faber LP95 which I don't like very much, but with better buoyancy characteristics (-2 vs +2 empty).
Not at $300! :eek: Unless there new that is.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

kf7lze wrote: I have a 17cf pony setup so don't see myself using redundant first stages on the H.
Very little point in doing so in the PNW waters. Doubles are a much better choice for any number of reasons.

The H or Y valves are used more commonly in two places: extreme cold water and overhead environments. In Antarctica, I've found they're fairly common, as first stage freezing is a real issue down there...although better technique and modern regulators have made this less of an issue. Many (most?) of the scientific programs don't use doubles, so they use the H or Y setup. I used them for diving down there for the freeze protection redundancy last time I was there (2009).

The other use is in cave diving, although it's less and less common. Cavern and intro can be taught with H or Y valves, although I don't know anyone anymore who does it that way... and my peering around Cave Country Dive Shop today (yes, I'm sitting in High Springs right now... :supz:) pretty much confirms that.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dusty2 wrote:
kf7lze wrote:Thanks for the info. I was looking at buying those tanks, Worthington LP108s at Discount Divers Supply on Westlake ($300/ea) and was curious about the weirdness. I have a 17cf pony setup so don't see myself using redundant first stages on the H.

Not at $300! :eek: Unless there new that is.
Never saw any discounts in there personally. But that's just me.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

We used H valves for ice diving in Ohio because we were diving shallow and didn't need the gas of doubles! It's easier to roll over and face up to play with bubbles on the ice and what not. In ice diving free flows are very common! Not as necessary in salt water!

The thing to remember is that gas in the first stage is being broken down from tank pressure to an ip about 135-145 psi above ambient and when pressure drops its the opposite of the effect at the fill station instead of getting warm it gets cold!
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan