SK-7 Sticking

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

SK-7 Sticking

Post by Dusty2 »

My sunnto SK-7 has started sticking in a tilted position an not working. Anyone know a cure or is it toast?
Furnari
Aquaphile

Re: SK-7 Sticking

Post by Furnari »

Heh, I replaced my third one in 2 years just today. Apparently, I'm hard on them. Any bubbles in it?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Is it sticking at depth or at the surface? If it's sticking at depth, it's started to leak. It can be fixed, but you have to find the leak, and re-fill it.

Furnari I'll take your "dead" ones if you're just going to throw them away.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Sorry- we pulled it apart at the shop out of curiosity. What kind of oil do you refill them with?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Furnari wrote:Sorry- we pulled it apart at the shop out of curiosity. What kind of oil do you refill them with?
Just mineral oil. It's not exactly the same, so if you look real close you can see the two different liquids in it, but it's never been a functional problem. PM next time one dies somewhere I have instructions on how to fix it.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

What happens to mine is that it gets tilted in the housing and won't come back to level which also locks it up. I only notice it when I need it unfortunately but I have got it to work on shore and had it reoccur at depth so maybe that has something to do with it. It has a small bubble in it about maybe 1 cm but I don't ever remember it not being there.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

sounds like it has come off the gimbal pin. if you bang them around hard that will happen. You can try to take it apart and put it back on and refill it. More than likely the socket is going to be cracked or have a piece broken off of it so may not be fixable.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
bm5w
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bm5w »

Rich,
I had this same problem yesterday; the card had fallen off the pin. I hadn't dropped it or banged it around since my last use, so I was confused. I through maybe it was a result of soaking my gear in hot water after dives, so I was going to try to put it back in hot water and shake it around a bit. After a compassless dive yesterday, I soaked my gear as usual and the compass returned to normal, without any shaking. I'm thinking the heat of the water allows the casing to expand just enough that the card can move off the pin. I'm going to stop soaking my compass in hot water.
-Mark
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

bm5w wrote:... I'm going to stop soaking my compass in hot water. -Mark
I had a similar issue as the OP. I had mine out in the garage for a while during those cold 2 weeks in Jan. Thought maybe the cold 'got' to it somehow. This seems more likely. Thanks!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Bought a used one on Ebay today. It says Cressi on it but I'm sure it was made by suunto.
compass5.jpg
compass5.jpg (40.62 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I have 3 or 4 of these and a couple just went on me. One cracked beyond repair and I just found a size able bubble in another. I didn't know you could refill em, maybe I'll try it!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

yeah you can refill them but its a huge PITA... If it's less than or even close to a year old Aqualung has always been great about replacing them... but even if they won't warranty it, you only need the module which you can get for about $55.00 depending on where you get it... almost always when they start to hang up they have a crack in the face of them, sometimes it's nearly impossible to see.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

bm5w wrote:Rich,
I had this same problem yesterday; the card had fallen off the pin. I hadn't dropped it or banged it around since my last use, so I was confused. I through maybe it was a result of soaking my gear in hot water after dives, so I was going to try to put it back in hot water and shake it around a bit. After a compassless dive yesterday, I soaked my gear as usual and the compass returned to normal, without any shaking. I'm thinking the heat of the water allows the casing to expand just enough that the card can move off the pin. I'm going to stop soaking my compass in hot water.
-Mark
well holy cow!... there's something I've never thought of before... I'm going to have to do some testing of this... Thank you soo much for posting that comment Mark!...
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Waynne Fowler wrote:yeah you can refill them but its a huge PITA... .
I guess it depends on your definition of huge PITA. Took me about 15 minutes and $.30 worth of mineral oil and glue to do mine. Well worth saving $55.

Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:yeah you can refill them but its a huge PITA... .
I guess it depends on your definition of huge PITA. Took me about 15 minutes and $.30 worth of mineral oil and glue to do mine. Well worth saving $55.
HUGE was definitely an overstatement huh? :-) ... it takes me an hour just to get the bench cleaned off and the tools out... plus just finding an hour to do it.. Wish I had more room and more time..
Kees
Avid Diver

Post by Kees »

Same thing happened to my compass; after pulling it out of the boot, I found that the pin had come off entirely, and was sitting at the bottom of the casing.
"I can stop any time I want to."
-Airsix on scooter addiction
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I had a new one that would lock up at temps below 40F. No leaks, no bubbles. Once it warmed up it functioned again. Found out this is a defect some others have experienced in cold climates. It's a problem with the plastic case, not the oil. Ran across a group of Scandinavians who won't use them anymore. They use the Scubapro/Uwatec FS1. DSS makes a boot for it (because that's what Tobin uses himself). That's what I'm using now.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey