Regulator questions

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Regulator questions

Post by Nwcid »

So right now Beth and I have HOG reg sets we have been using and are very happy with. This year we are planning on starting to work with mixed gas, doubles and stage/deco bottles. This means we have more stuff to buy.

When it comes to regulators it is about $300 for a HOG "stage" regulator set. The good point to this is that all of our gear will be the same for ease of maintenance and parts.

Of course since we have to do everything double since there are two of us. I have wondered if it is bad idea to keep an eye out for other used inexpensive regs on CL and else where. You know the ones where people bought lots of gear only to find out they don't dive and are not trying to get some of their money back. I just worry that in the long run it would end up costing more and being more "difficult" with a mixed bag of gear.

Thanks for your thoughts.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Regulator questions

Post by LCF »

If you keep going into technical diving, you're going to end up with a lot of regs. At some point, service costs become truly onerous. You have the option of taking the class to service your own HOG regs and you can buy the service packs openly. This is not true for any other brand that I know of.

We were paying $100 to $120 a reg set for service. At that price, you've paid for a HOG reg in three years.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Also, keep in mind that if you buy a reg from Craigslist, I assume you'd want to rebuild it anyways (As you don't know where it's been). Servicing the reg, and the cost you picked it up for, tends to usually equate to the purchase of a new reg.

D
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

defied wrote:Also, keep in mind that if you buy a reg from Craigslist, I assume you'd want to rebuild it anyways (As you don't know where it's been). Servicing the reg, and the cost you picked it up for, tends to usually equate to the purchase of a new reg.

D
That really depends on the reg. A HOG reg, sure. Some Apeks, for example, can be found used and serviced for much less than buying new.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

You're right, I've bought quite a few, but I've bought them from people I know. An Apeks reg used by someone I don't know is getting serviced, and it can be costy.

D
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

check out piranhadivemfg.com. They have a nice little 65$ reg(1st only) , din, nitrox ready that works well on a slung bottle if you have some 2nds laying about. The Seac O2 regs work nicely as well and are a complete 1st/2nd.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have a whole mish mash of regs I have picked up at various times and places. With a compressor + boat I don't mess with service honestly, not worth my time or sourcing the parts. Screw "annual" service, some regs might only get used 4-6x a year. So I get them serviced when they break.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

for the cost of a HOG and since it sounds like you are happy with them I would just get a some more to use on your stage bottles.

Take a equipment class you will be surprised at just how easy rebuilding regulators is. Tools will cost you less than $200 from Scuba Tools, you can get a parts cleaner from Harbor Fright and Tools. You do not need a meter a sink full of water will work just as well when setting cracking pressure.

I cannot even count the number of times over the years that students have shown up for a class with freshly rebuilt regs for their bailout/deco bottles that had problems. And upon taking them apart only to find that the shop that did the work did not put a kit in it just cleaned it and flipped the HP seat and charged them for a kit. I am not saying they all do this but a lot do.

I do not put a kit in mine unless they need it. I do take them apart and clean and lube them on a regular basis (or if they start to act funny) so the the parts last longer. And yes I do flip the HP seat over once the IP starts to get unstable and run it again until the HP seat or other parts are worn then it gets a kit. Usually get several thousand hours of use before I have to put a kit in.

Regulators are life support so I do not trust many people to work on what is needed to keep me alive under the water. Especially when doing a long deco dive.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hogs are great and there is much to for keeping uniform equipment especially if your going to do your own maintenance. It's way easier to have just one kit type in your kit and always know you are prepared to fix what ever problem comes up. I use hogs and they have sales a couple of times a year where you can get great deals. the hog DS-1 first is also sold under several other brand names by the way. Diverite is one of them.

If you guys are going serious I would advise taking the class. That way you can do your own services and always know what shape your gear is in.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good stuff to follow up on. Been a long day at work and have a report to write before I get to go to bed.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/