B.C Fix

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: B.C Fix

Post by Norris »

kdupreez wrote:how much for that pink umbrella :smt064
He won't sell it. that's his backup chute for skydiving
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I use my suit for buoyancy, but use my BCD on the surface. To each his own. If you came back alive, you did it right.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There are a lot of legitimate strategies for managing risk in diving. For example, if you are diving a lot of thick neoprene, weighting yourself so you're neutral at the surface (and therefore have to swim down) will result in you being rather convincingly positive at the end of the dive, without any redundant buoyancy.

If you have enough poise to swim up and then close your dump valve while you tread water in your dry suit, that will work, too.

Each of us has to do a risk assessment on the dives we do and the things we thing are likely to happen, or unlikely but disastrous, and build an approach that works for for the way we see things. Not all of those solutions are going to be compatible, but everyone has the right to work out what seems good to him.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Love my bcd....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

so.. how about that pink umbrella?

i swear if you send it to me I'll send you a picture of me on a dive using it :)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Interesting thread.

One of the people I know in the Puget Sound that dives "old school" rig is Bruce Higgins. In many years, I really haven't seen anybody use the equipment he still dives with. Mortuus, maybe one of these days, you can help on one of his projects at Edmonds Underwater Park, and perhaps you can enlighten him on redundancy. I can assure you, it will be an interesting discussion. For the record, he really is a very nice person.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

kdupreez wrote:so.. how about that pink umbrella?

i swear if you send it to me I'll send you a picture of me on a dive using it :)
Pink :eek: Don't you know it's got to be black! :rofl:

For the record, Dave is crazy! LOL
Anyone who lives on an island in Alaska with only about 15 miles of road, Rides motorcycles in the snow, and makes a living diving has got to be crazy! :nutty:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Dusty2 wrote: Pink :eek: Don't you know it's got to be black! :rofl:
Pink is the new black, brah!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Dove my new bcd today and it worked just like expected...Can't believe how many people posted on this bc fix....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Dusty2 wrote:
kdupreez wrote:so.. how about that pink umbrella?

Pink :eek: Don't you know it's got to be black! :rofl:

For the record, Dave is crazy! LOL
Anyone who lives on an island in Alaska with only about 15 miles of road, Rides motorcycles in the snow, and makes a living diving has got to be crazy! :nutty:

I object to that statement. That could fit me until you get to the crazy part. I am very boring, But I will agree Dave is crazy but he is Highly effective as a Diver and I would dive (and DO) for work or recreation any day but I would come to the dive with my own redundancy becasue that is not a word Dave understands. I also feel that is my responsibility anyway so it is no big deal. :smt064
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Best BC fix I ever seen..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

I want one just like it! :smt064
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Mateo1147 wrote:I want one just like it! :smt064
I could sell u this one??? All ready to dive..
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Diver_Dave wrote:
Mateo1147 wrote:I want one just like it! :smt064
I could sell u this one??? All ready to dive..
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually I am handy enough I think I can mod my own. Now where was that jacket B.C. on Craigslist...........
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

6th dive on the bc and seams to b fitting & working real great...Some people ask why not just use a backplate?? Reason is comfort bc's r nice a padded and don't bit into ya when u r working...I never need any air in my bc at the surface ever cause I always dive of my boat and never shore dive....Even working in the harbor w/no boat or dive ladder I always find a way to crawl out w/all my gear on...
Attachments
IMG_9341.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Nice pic!
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Norris wrote:
Well, this proves Dave does use redundancy
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

KneeDeep wrote:
Norris wrote:
Well, this proves Dave :nutty: does use redundancy
I got it covered...I believe..What pink umbrella I have been looking for mine????? :rawlings:
Over 5,000 dives and im still here....Woo Hooo.... :popcorn: :nutty:
Attachments
IMG_9305.JPG
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

defied wrote:
Keep in mind, DIR diving isn't that old compared to a lot of other styles.

D
It is so. I read it on the internet :partydance: .

Scott
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

vbcoachchris wrote:
defied wrote:
Keep in mind, DIR diving isn't that old compared to a lot of other styles. It's not the end all, be all, diving format.
D
It is so. I read it on the internet :partydance: .

Scott
Nerd. 0]

D
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

I like to feel very comfortable under water.... DIR diving is a joke I like to make my dive gear comfortable for me to dive.. I will say it again there is no need for me to inflate my bc ever..I have had drysuits fail many times and always never had a problem....Wast of air too.... :rofl: :smt064 :popcorn:
Attachments
IMG_7403.JPG
IMG_9282.JPG
Last edited by Diver_Dave on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

A Navy diver once told me that you "Dive your gear".
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Someone took my pink umbrella... Who was it?? I thing it may have been Tom Nic :penelope:
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
blt2go
Avid Diver

Post by blt2go »

So I was trained to dive using just my suit and a BC backpack. I loved it then and still love it. My one upgrade has been to add a set of the old style wings that attach to the backpack. I wouldn't use them except for surface swims, but it is nice to have a source of redundant bouyancy set up for alternate (oral) inflation. I added this after a long dive at Saltwater state park where I hoovered my air compared to my buddy and as we were swimming in we seemed to stay at 10 feet forever. I was low on air and figured hey, we are just at 10 feet, I will be able to stand any minute so I kept swimming as my air dropped lower and lower until I thought it was WAY too low and surfaced. As I hit the surface I sucked on a dry regulator and didn't have enough air to inflate my suit. My buddy was there but their BC hose didn't fit my inflator and I had no bouyancy so I had to dump my weights to float and my buddy had to retrieve them and carry them in. After that I added the wings...
So in my case, Suit for bouyancy, "Wings" for redundancy...
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Diver_Dave wrote:I like to feel very comfortable under water.... DIR diving is a joke I like to make my dive gear comfortable for me to dive.. I will say it again there is no need for me to inflate my bc ever..I have had drysuits fail many times and always never had a problem....Wast of air too.... :rofl: :smt064 :popcorn:
some people actually do find value in the standardized and more disciplined approach of team diving, but quite honestly, to each his own.. as long as you are having fun and enjoying your diving, thats all that matters..

At least I try not to be judgmental and always attempt to instill that sentiment in the people I train and I can only hope that it resonates and they will take the same approach..

I drive a german car, my wife drives a jeep.. and I still love her :luv:

K