A Day Under the South Sound

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
NollyG
Just Settling In

A Day Under the South Sound

Post by NollyG »

Hello NWDC!

Here's my first of what I plan on being many posts. I shot this video a few weeks back and have been meaning to post ever since.I went out with Bandito's and had a great couple of dives. The video was shot with my new Canon XA-10 and Gates housing (above water shots were done with my GoPro Hero 3).

We dove Point Defiance North Wall and Z's Reef, both of which were new to me. The visibility was great on the North Wall and talk about unique structure! I can't wait to go back once I'm set for macro. The holes in the clay were loaded with small critters. Z's was also a great dive! Nice structure and lots of ling's guarding eggs. Not all that deep which allowed us to explore for a nice long dive. In fact, my dive buddy did his first one hour dive.

Check out the video!

http://vimeo.com/58836199

Thanks!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: A Day Under the South Sound

Post by mz53480 »

Nice work on the vid!
=D>

What kind of lights are you using?
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hey, Welcome, Glad you decided to come out of the closet. :tomnic:
Nice video
NollyG
Just Settling In

Post by NollyG »

mz53480 wrote:Nice work on the vid!
=D>

What kind of lights are you using?
Thanks for the kind word! I've got a pair of Fisheye 1500 lumen video lights. So far, I really like them, although they put out a fairly white light. I think they are up near 7000 K, but Fisheye makes a filter thats supposed to warm the light to around 4500 K. I may try that out at some point.

NollyG
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Stunning video! I am so impressed! Hope you can visit us again soon, and with your dad.

(Nice shot of me at the helm, too.)

Jackie
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Very Nice !

Thanks for Sharing !
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Very nice, vibrant colors! Excellent lighting! Nice job!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I just finished watching this video with a huge grin on my face. I love it when people video who see a site differently from the way I see it -- I have never appreciated the structure on North Wall as much as I just did through your eyes. Beautiful lighting and color, and I loved the shots of the striped perch, and the one eating the kelp up in the water column, because they are almost impossible to get still photographs of. Really fun video, and thank you for putting it up, and I look forward to more of them!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Awesome video!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

sorry about being a party crasher here, but you might want to realize that this video has had some serious color correction done to it with adobe premire.. Thats why its so colorful and stunning.. its a great video , and i like the way you shot it, very stable and nice. But i just wanted to point out the color correction which adobe premire has and allows for puget sound Green water that we all see here in underwater videos
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
sekhmet
Avid Diver

Post by sekhmet »

Wow! Like! Very clean, and the music was great. Some people do really great video and then choose puzzling music but yours compliment each other nicely. I have to agree I have dove both these sites a lot and I REALLY like the structure that you chose at Pt. Defiance wall (usually I'm looking in every hole to see what critter is hanging out- not thinking wide angle like you did- nice!) Can't wait to see more!
"Fish Worship: Is It Wrong?"
NollyG
Just Settling In

Post by NollyG »

H20doctor wrote:sorry about being a party crasher here, but you might want to realize that this video has had some serious color correction done to it with adobe premire.. Thats why its so colorful and stunning.. its a great video , and i like the way you shot it, very stable and nice. But i just wanted to point out the color correction which adobe premire has and allows for puget sound Green water that we all see here in underwater videos
H2Odocotor,

Thanks for the kind words. I absolutely appreciate constructive criticism, so don't take this as anything but a clarification of details in the form of a friendly rebuttal. For starters, you're right, I did do some color correction in editing, but to say that it was some serious color correction is not at all accurate. I think you'd be surprised at how little I did.

With each clip I went through my standard routine, starting with shadows exposure, which I bring down a slight amount to increase contrast and detail. After that, I check the color levels, but with this new camera, I did little to nothing here for most the clips. In the past, with my previous video setup I would bring down the green tones quite a bit to compensate for some serious green over saturation, but I found this for the most part wasn't necessary with my new camera (the auto white-balance on the Canon XA-10 is pretty darn good). On to saturation, which I did use in small amounts to bring out some of the colors. To be clear, my goal was not to create unrealistic colors. I, as always, was simply attempting to match the colors I saw during the dive, but was not seeing in my video footage. A camera sees the world in sometimes subtly different (and sometimes dramatically different) ways than the human eye. To be fair, the colors I was trying to match were from memory of the dives, as I was sitting at my computer, and its absolutely possible that I'm biased towards the more colorful. :nutty: So, maybe I inadvertently "exaggerated" the colors, but if I did it was not intentional. Either way, the adjustment dials didn't move much on any of the clips for this video.

Oh crap...I went and rambled. :BDub: Anyway, again, I look forward to more constructive criticism from NWDC members. I'm trying to improve my videos with every dive, and there's no faster way to learn than to hear from your peers!

Oh...and I edit with Final Cut Pro X, not Adobe. Not that it matters. :smt064

Cheers!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Honestly, I don't really care what you did to the video. It matches my personal memories of the colors that I see when I am diving, which is part of what made it so delightful to watch. It is clear you had an unusually good day for viz, but we do get them.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey, awesome video! Keep em coming!
PeninsulaDiver
Aquaphile

Post by PeninsulaDiver »

Gdog wrote:Hey, awesome video! Keep em coming!
+1, looking forward to more! :thumb3d:

-Mark
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

H20doctor wrote:sorry about being a party crasher here, but you might want to realize that this video has had some serious color correction done to it with adobe premire.. Thats why its so colorful and stunning
And this is a problem or bad, how?! Just why would it be important for folks to "realize" this?

It's a nice video, well put together, enjoy!
H20doctor wrote: But i just wanted to point out the color correction which adobe premire has...
Again, why? Perhaps if something was being misrepresented in some way, or if this was in a technical discussion, but it's just a dive report...

Unless I misunderstood or misinterpreted the comments, which is certainly possible! :tomnic: Just seems a bit unnecessary...
H20doctor wrote: its a great video.
Yes. A good final word.

Yes...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Tom Nic wrote:
H20doctor wrote:sorry about being a party crasher here, but you might want to realize that this video has had some serious color correction done to it with adobe premire.. Thats why its so colorful and stunning
And this is a problem or bad, how?! Just why would it be important for folks to "realize" this?

It's a nice video, well put together, enjoy!
H20doctor wrote: But i just wanted to point out the color correction which adobe premire has...
Again, why? Perhaps if something was being misrepresented in some way, or if this was in a technical discussion, but it's just a dive report...its just sumthing i noticed , and it didnt look natural at all for our diving here

Unless I misunderstood or misinterpreted the comments, which is certainly possible! :tomnic: Just seems a bit unnecessary...
H20doctor wrote: its a great video.
Yes. A good final word.

Yes...
Tom , the reason i said it is because if you look at the coraline algae on the rocks it a overly purple color, too much purple.. and as i do a lot of video editing in premire and vegas Pro , we editing people can see things that most people wont pic out.., just like photo people can see stuff in photos that have been altered in lightroom , and phtoshop software .
I was just making an observation.. next time i will just keep my editing comments to myself..

Nice work Nolly G , keep posting your videos you filmed some good stuff..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

H20doctor wrote:its just sumthing i noticed , and it didnt look natural at all for our diving here
Tom Nic wrote:Unless I misunderstood or misinterpreted the comments, which is certainly possible! :tomnic: Just seems a bit unnecessary...
Chris - As I said, If I misread your comments, my apologies.

Comments, discussions, and discussion on video, pics, editing techniques are very welcome, and in fact often solicited by posters. This doesn't seem like a question or even an observation.
Who might want to realize? The OP? They know! The readers? Why? What "party" is being "crashed"? The "attaboys" for the video? Those aren't "editing comments"... Those comments weren't a discussion of color - it felt like someone was being "outed" for using editing software. Intent is hard to read, but words mean something.
H20doctor wrote:Tom , the reason i said it is because if you look at the coraline algae on the rocks it a overly purple color, too much purple.. and as i do a lot of video editing in premire and vegas Pro , we editing people can see things that most people wont pic out.., just like photo people can see stuff in photos that have been altered in lightroom , and phtoshop software .
I was just making an observation.. next time i will just keep my editing comments to myself..

Nice work Nolly G , keep posting your videos you filmed some good stuff..
Great and helpful observations on the algae - perhaps starting out with that or a question about that is a better way to go that a need to help people "realize" something or "crash a party"? Surely you see the difference? I love and am interested in technical discussions of video editing, etc. and the thing you said in your last post is exactly that - the previous post wasn't. Questions, observations, etc, are all fair game, and most of the time welcome. Your comments weren't phrased that way.

Again, if I misunderstood the intent of your comments, my apologies. Sigh... this is the internet, and Words have meaning.

Your observations and comments are welcome, Chris.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Incredible Video!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LOVE the video! Thank you for posting it here, and welcome to the NWDC!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

As a guy who has been dry too, too long I appreciate the effort to take, process and publish videos like this. Frankly, in today's world I fully expect anything I see published to have been processed in some way to improve clarity and communication. But, if a person wants to publish unprocessed images that is fine with me too. I just want the images to help me keep in contact with the underwater world.

Keep it up.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

ArcticDiver wrote:As a guy who has been dry too, too long I appreciate the effort to take, process and publish videos like this. Frankly, in today's world I fully expect anything I see published to have been processed in some way to improve clarity and communication. But, if a person wants to publish unprocessed images that is fine with me too. I just want the images to help me keep in contact with the underwater world.

Keep it up.
Ditto!!!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: