I need a new host for my pictures ...

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

I need a new host for my pictures ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Photobucket has recently "upgraded", and it's gotten way harder to use ... when I upload pictures it forces settings I don't want, which I have to go back and edit after uploading ... and often freezes up in the middle of a session, forcing me to start all over again. It's taking me about 30 minutes now to do what I used to do in maybe 5.

It's just too aggravating to use anymore. I need a new host for my pictures. It's a major issue, since pretty much all of my pics are linked there, and moving them is going to break all the links. So I only want to do this once.

What do you use? And what do you like and dislike about it?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: I need a new host for my pictures ...

Post by lundysd »

I spent a TON of time researching this issue a few years ago, and by far the best choice for me was Zenfolio. Smugmug was okay, but for a variety of reasons (especially ease of customization), I prefer Zenfolio. Videos, custom pages, print ordering, password-protected galleries, etc -- Zenfolio has it all, and for a very reasonable annual price.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Flickr?
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Dropbox.com ( photo/ storage cloud server )
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I have been pretty happy with Smugmug and several others here use them. I suppose it's just a matter of what you get used to.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Just wondering... are others using Photobucket having the same issues? Wondering if it might be resolved so you don't loose all those links?

OR, to keep PB for what you currently have so you don't loose links and moving forward find a different solution.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Using flickr and dropbox.
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

I vote Picasa/Picasaweb from Google. (NOT Google+ Photos)...no-frills storage, direct upload from most Andriod phones, excellent desktop software for managing photos and uploading them, a good web interface, and direct links you can customize to any size yourself. I use Picasaweb for all my web site's photos and it's been flawless for years.
-J.W.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

I'm using Flickr, but direct linking isn't Flickr's strong suit. I'm a dev, so I don't mind using Chrome's inspector to find an img tag, but that's not really everyone's optimal workflow.

OTOH, uploading and organizing photos is pretty simple, and I'm a fan of folksonomy, which Flickr does really well. You can tag something, then click on the tag to see what other people have uploaded using that tag, meaning you can see every spiny lumpsucker photo anybody's ever uploaded to Flickr, which is fun.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

fnerg wrote: You can tag something, then click on the tag to see what other people have uploaded using that tag, meaning you can see every spiny lumpsucker photo anybody's ever uploaded to Flickr, which is fun.
Assuming people tag their photos, which some of don't because we are lazy. :calvin:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Re: RE: I need a new host for my pictures ...

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

fnerg wrote:I'm using Flickr, but direct linking isn't Flickr's strong suit. I'm a dev, so I don't mind using Chrome's inspector to find an img tag, but that's not really everyone's optimal workflow.
There are some handy controls for generating BBCode or HTML in the Action menu on Flickr that make this not too bad. I've been fairly happy with Flickr for my needs, but second others who have mentioned Zenfolio if you're looking for something more professional or customizable. I know a bunch of people who are happy with them especially after smugmug recently increased prices.

Sent from my Nokia 920 using Board Express
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I am a member on a BBQ forum called the Smoke Ring. They have been batting around this issue over there also. The admin on that site found a thing called irfanview, he seems to like it. I have only read one post over there where one of the members did not like it.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Irfanview is a picture/video viewer program, a decent one but it's not a picture hosting site.
Great for sorting through pictures and doing mild editing. It's free, fast, and works way better than most of the stock MS products.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.