Scallops?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Scallops?

Post by thefeve »

Hey all,

So my father-in-law asked a good question - can anyone point me in the right direction regarding harvesting/fishing for scallops?

Let me start by saying I'm not a huge spearo, and have no intentions of becoming a big hunter.. but certainly have entertained the idea of trying it out for ling season, and who doesn't like crab? :burntchef: Hadn't really thought about scallops til he mentioned it, but i don't know enough about where they are, seasons etc and was curious where to look for regs as well as places that are known as acceptable places for it?

thanks for any info, even it its - "don't do that" :boxer:
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Scallops?

Post by Penopolypants »

Scroll down a bit to get to scallops:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/st ... rules.html
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

perfect:)

Any thoughts on good places to go? I live up in mukilteo, and the father-in-law kindly offered to come over and provide "beach support" (cookin' pot and side dishes) to do a beach cookout this spring. Still being pretty new to diving and fishing, I wasn't sure what places may be good for that. I've been wanting to get over to Whidby for a long time, so thought maybe that would be a good chance:)

Also, FWIW I'm located up in Mukilteo, so looking for more northend options...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Most of the scallop harvesting I've heard of was in the San Juans
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i know where the scallop beds are ... but we need a boat to score them off the bottom
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

thefeve wrote:Any thoughts on good places to go?

start looking on the bottom....

:rofl:
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

The northeast wall of deception island has more scallops than you can possibly harvest.

You need a boat to get there though.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

pensacoladiver wrote:The northeast wall of deception island has more scallops than you can possibly harvest.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , nice going Chad tell them our secret spot for scallops.. decpeption island..just cause you dont live here anymore you have to blab all our diving secrets .. :penelope:
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I used to get the big rock scallops out at Neah Bay. They were great. However, as I understand it they can not predict/test for PSP paralytic shellfish poisoning in Scallops in the areas we harvest them from(Neah, San Juans). They would need to sample the area very frequently and do tests in the lab. You can harvest them but there is significant risk of PSP. It made me stop taking them even though they were so good. If you go to this link http://www4.doh.wa.gov/gis/mogifs/biotoxin.htm one of the bullets says "All areas are closed for the recreational or sport harvest of scallops."
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

:eek: well that pretty much settles it then... I'm not in any rush to poison myself from shellfish...
Jeff Kruse wrote:I used to get the big rock scallops out at Neah Bay. They were great. However, as I understand it they can not predict/test for PSP paralytic shellfish poisoning in Scallops in the areas we harvest them from(Neah, San Juans). They would need to sample the area very frequently and do tests in the lab. You can harvest them but there is significant risk of PSP. It made me stop taking them even though they were so good. If you go to this link http://www4.doh.wa.gov/gis/mogifs/biotoxin.htm one of the bullets says "All areas are closed for the recreational or sport harvest of scallops."
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:The northeast wall of deception island has more scallops than you can possibly harvest.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH , nice going Chad tell them our secret spot for scallops.. decpeption island..just cause you dont live here anymore you have to blab all our diving secrets .. :penelope:
Haha. When is the last time you dove there? Let me guess...
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:

i believe we were being fined by Fish and Game ... :rofl:
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:

That's about what I thought.... You haven't been there in over three years!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
Yeah, I haven't either. When you coming back with your boat so we can go out again?
:)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

mz53480 wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
H20doctor wrote:
Yeah, I haven't either. When you coming back with your boat so we can go out again?
Seeing as how I'm just settling in to a new duty station, I would imagine its at least 3 years away.

I might be able to take a vacation up there and talk Karl into letting me take his boat out.

God knows Kraky ain't gonna take his boat out... He has owned it for what? 8 months now. How many times has it seen the water? Damn cyber diver.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

pensacoladiver wrote:
mz53480 wrote: Yeah, I haven't either. When you coming back with your boat so we can go out again?
Seeing as how I'm just settling in to a new duty station, I would imagine its at least 3 years away...

Fair enough, I suppose I could chum the pristine waters of Hawaii instead.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I should have my boat going by this summer.. Pending I have boat funds
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

Whole foods... lol best scallops I've ever had. Disease free to boot.