Transpac with ss backplate?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
scubajen
Avid Diver

Transpac with ss backplate?

Post by scubajen »

Hi, this might be a really dumb questions, but does anyone know if you can attach a stainless steel backplate to a Dive Rite Transpac?
thanks!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Re: Transpac with ss backplate?

Post by ORDiver »

I suppose you could if you wanted to drill some holes and attach it with some stainless steel nuts and bolts but it would be easier to buy $10 worth of 2 inch webbing and make a one piece harness like this: http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/hogrigging.shtml for your back plate. That's all it takes. I'm guessing that the wing you use with you transpac (not familiar with Dive Rite wings except for the Nomad) would attach to the backplate and voila! A singles rig with a steel backplate. You may also need an "STA" aka "single tank adapter" depending on the wing. You could also reuse the d-rings and keepers off your transpac harness.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The straps can thread onto a plate at the top. DR even sells a plate with transpac straps like this:
http://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml

You might need a new piece of webbing to connect the waist holes to the triangular mini plates at the bottom of the straps.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

The straps are sewed onto the flexible plate on the transpac XT I have. Maybe different on older ones.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

ORDiver wrote:I suppose you could if you wanted to drill some holes and attach it with some stainless steel nuts and bolts but it would be easier to buy $10 worth of 2 inch webbing and make a one piece harness like this: http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/hogrigging.shtml for your back plate. That's all it takes. I'm guessing that the wing you use with you transpac (not familiar with Dive Rite wings except for the Nomad) would attach to the backplate and voila! A singles rig with a steel backplate. You may also need an "STA" aka "single tank adapter" depending on the wing. You could also reuse the d-rings and keepers off your transpac harness.
That's what I did with my pak, like it alot better.

Now were is the Easy button.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
scubajen
Avid Diver

Post by scubajen »

Thanks for the replies. I'm having a hard time imagining how it would work -- unless you just got rid of the lumbar padding. You are suggesting a way to attach it to the outside (the back) of the TransPac's soft plate so it's between the soft plate and the wing? That would make sense. :)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sell the tranpac and use money to buy a HOG harness. Use the left over money to buy beer and tacos. :partyman: :taco:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Jen,
It would be far easier to sell the transpac, and pick up a Hog plate and rig. If you're not super concerned about loot and want the comfort, you can pick up a Dive Rite harness with padding, or even a Halcyon plate/pad set to stay comfortable.

That said, depending on the year make, I don't think it would be wicked hard to make happen.

D
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Looking at your message, the only advice you were looking for is if anyone knew of a way to do it.

Not offhand. 0]

D
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

scubajen wrote:Hi, this might be a really dumb questions, but does anyone know if you can attach a stainless steel backplate to a Dive Rite Transpac?
thanks!
The answer is yes..

kneedeep did it, you may want to PM him.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

That is the set up I have. It is pretty easy to do. Just have to make a couple of new slots in the back plate for the straps and drill one hole for the bolts that hold it all together. I've been using this for several years now and works perfect. I like the transpac because of the pad against my back not just having the steel plate.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Norris wrote:
scubajen wrote:Hi, this might be a really dumb questions, but does anyone know if you can attach a stainless steel backplate to a Dive Rite Transpac?
thanks!
The answer is yes..

I didn't keep the harness. just the wing. I switched to one piece harness with a backplate
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

KneeDeep wrote:
Norris wrote:
thanks!
The answer is yes..

I didn't keep the harness. just the wing. I switched to one piece harness with a backplate
The answer is yes deep diver did it, you may want to PM him
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
scubajen
Avid Diver

Post by scubajen »

Thanks again, everyone!