New to Seattle Area

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
jmartel
Dive-aholic

New to Seattle Area

Post by jmartel »

My wife and I moved to Seattle (Ballard) in December and are hoping to get some diving in. We both got AOW certified down in Grand Cayman in November at the Sunset House. Awesome place to go for vacation. The goal is to go on a trip to the Galapagos in 2015 with the same group that did our OW cert, AOW cert, and the trip to Sunset House.

I'd like to get Nitrox certified, Dry suit certified, and start looking into going deeper in order to explore the wrecks in lake Washington. Juries still out on caves for me, but I may take the class to experience it.

I'll try and put some photos up from the trip in the UW photography section as well.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: New to Seattle Area

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome to the board!

Lots of great options for training here as you probably know!

Get out, dip your toes in our glorious, cold, green waters, and dive dive dive!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Lots of quality instructors here as well as knowledgeable people who are more than willing to share their experience and help you find the training you need. Plus lots of people who just plain enjoy diving and sharing the places we enjoy.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Welcome to the board and we hope to start seeing you diving with one of our many weekly dive groups.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Welcome to the board!
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

Welcome
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board! We have several weekly dives all over the Sound, I hope to see you at a few!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Thanks everyone. We would need computers, wetsuits/hoods and tanks for the dives. Still trying to find out the best dive shops in the area. Looks like there are a few very close which is good.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Waterproof makes a nice 10/5mm hood I recently switched to that's very good.(for a drysuit though).

If you plan to dive a lot in the PNW< you really want to invest in a drysuit. Tanks you can rent until you figure out what you want. Computers are the same. rent for awhile, decide what you like first, and where you see yourself heading. Ask, listen, learn. Many here have gone the route of buying today, and buying again tomorrow (myself included) as they progress. My kit today is nowhere near where it was when I started.

Lots of good dive shops, (Tacoma Scuba, 5th Dimension) to others like Silent World, UnderwaterSports , TLSea, and many others.

Good luck and have fun, PNW divers are some of the best around, and many are willing to let you borrow gear to try out. I suggest you take them up on it once you decide what you are looking for.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Check the descriptions of some of the weekly dives around here.

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 14#p199258