Diving Lake Michigan

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Diving Lake Michigan

Post by Scubie Doo »

I travel to Chicago often and was thinking of extending a trip for diving. Does anyone have experience or suggestions for diving Lake Michigan out of the Chicagoland area?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Diving Lake Michigan

Post by Dusty2 »

PM elisaboo, She lives back in that country. Been hearing about them being the lowest in history so that might be a factor to consider.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Yeah we've had an exceptionally dry year. I don't know much out of Chicago, I usually go out of Milwaukee. The shop I would probably most recommend is Dive Right In Scuba, and they also offer charters out of Chicago (http://drischarters.com/) If you get the chance I would HIGHLY recommend getting out to see the wrecks of Lake Michigan. They're being rapidly overtaken by zebra/quagga mussels, but they're still among the best preserved wrecks you will ever get the chance to visit. Plus we often have a solid 100 feet of visibility in the great lakes, especially at the deeper wrecks!

When are you thinking of coming? You might be able to talk me into coming down and joining you, but don't expect to be photographing lots of great wildlife around there :)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Oooo.... sounds like fun! Some fresh water wreck diving!! :boucegreen:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman