Hi from the Kitsap --

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Hi from the Kitsap --

Post by olalladiver »

Hey all --

Well, first off kudos and thanks to all of you responsible for pulling together what appears to be both a great group of people and a great site. I know these things don't just appear out of thin air and take a lot of effort, both to get off the ground and to keep things relevant and otherwise unpolluted and awesome for all those who use it. So thanks.

Just started blowing my first bubbles a few months back and finished my OW in January. Got maybe 15 open water dives in at this point, so the training wheels/water wings definitely aren't off the tank yet, but I definitely got the bug and can see this is going to probably be an addiction.

I'm out here on the Kitsap in Olalla (about halfway between Port Orchard and Gig Harbor). I do have one buddy who I'm diving with but definitely looking to expand my circle of diving friends and options -- So if any of you are planning some dives out this way and can handle an enthusiastic newbie, I'm interested in meeting. As for dives, we did some out at Harper, Pt Whitney and Illahee and I had the great pleasure of doing some dives off Kona (including the Manta dives and sharing some sea with a white tipped reef shark and "lawn" of thousands of garden eels) -- On my short list are of course Edmonds, Octopus Hole and other Hood dives and, as my skills improve (current and depth), more intermediate sights like Waterman Wall and Sunrise Beach (which is really handy for me). But I'm taking it slow an recognizing it's my learning time and it's good for me to be cautious, dive in my ability, and not get cocky at all while I can still count dives on my digits. I got lots to learn.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting AOW and nitrox training. Extreme tech stuff, overhead environments, and extreme deep stuff still seems pretty intimidating and I find myself nervous about currents til I learn how it all works better, but I was nervous blowing my first bubbles too, so I'm sure It's just a heathy respect for being a prudently cautious diver.

As yet, I'm feeling pretty comfortable in a 7mm wetsuit when I dive in the sound, but everyone tells me that will pass as I get past that whole newbie disease of kicking too much and burning up air and other fuels. I'm still burning air like crazy and last to splash, first out... which is frustrating... but I think is improving slightly. (you long breathers drive me crazy when you surface a half hour after me with a half tank, though) I have all the essential gear together, so just looking to make it happen more.

Anyway, greetings from the Kitsap, and my thanks again for the people who make the forum both possible and welcoming. Hope I connect with some of you --

Jason aka olalladiver

ps. I met a couple of you on the dive boat in Kona, so if I sound familiar, reping me since to my shame I've forgotten your names... (My brain is pretty small and every time I push something in one ear, something pops out on the opposite side)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Hi from the Kitsap --

Post by Dusty2 »

Hi Jason and welcome. We are lucky to have a great group here and a well moderated forum to keep things "friendly". this is the place to build your dive buddy list and also dive with knowledgeable people who will help you through that beginner stage. As for the breathing, it will come slowly as you become more comfortable and balanced in the water. We all went through it at one time. There is no big secrete just practice and practice some more. Sounds like you have the right attitude. slow and conservative is the way to make the learning curve safer and easier. You can do Nitrox anytime. It does not have to wait for the webs to grow between your toes. It's just about learning the laws of nature and what is safe and how to determine that. It's mostly just class work to learn the ways that enhanced Oxygen gases affect your body underwater and the dangers of breathing Oxygen under pressure.

I do Fox Island wall once in awhile and it's a pretty safe dive without much current. I also do Port Townsend a lot but it is not for beginners unless you go with an experianced diver who is well versed in the currents. Edmonds is something to look forward to but save it for awhile. Contrary to what you may hear it does indeed have current as well as waves and it is a long swim. Current is a big thing in the NW. It should be given great respect. It is in my opinion one of the most dangerous things you will face. Don't dive any site without someone who knows the site till you get well established. Swimming against the flow can suck the air out of your tank very fast and build carbon dioxide in you system faster than you would believe.

So grab some buddies and get out there and learn! AND yes it IS very addicting!
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Thanks for the welcome and I'll take the advice to heart for sure! Good to know about the Edmonds sight and current in general. And btw, I think I'm going to have to spend some time looking at your pics @underthesound-- some funky nudi's you've found, among other things.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board! We have a number of weekly dives around the Sound, and the South Sound Thursday dives may be the closest one to you without a ferry. You are welcome to come to any or none of them, of course! We also have weekend club dives every few months where we can pair you up with a more experienced diver. The weekly dive listings are here:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17214

Or keep an eye on the Dive Planning forum for the South Sound dives.

Welcome!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Your enthusiasm is refreshing and welcome to the wacky world of cold water diving! SCUBA forks out in many different directions and you will be exposed to them all, the more people you dive with.
Have fun with diving and getting all your skills figured out. Unfortunetely when you are breathing more efficiently you are most likely using less energy. Well that means that you are producing less heat and things start getting a little cooler. This is what people are speaking of when talking about drysuits and being cold.
That being said, there are many people on here that dove wet for quite a while just fine. So take your time and dont allow others to pressure you in any direction.

I LOVE ME SOME DIVING!!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome to the board Jason!!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Hey all -- Thanks for the info -- I'll definitely try to touch base with y'all on the WWW thing... which seems active... would love to check into south esouth thursday dives, too, but didn't note them listed on the weekly PNW dives page (unless I'm blind, which is quite possible). But I'll watch for it on the dive planning lists, in any case, and connect as I can...

Anyway, hope to connect with y'all soon... I'm finding I like the people I'm meeting in the diving world... A fun blend of insanity, humor, and friendliness that I appreciate.

Til we splash together...
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Welcome, I'm out in the Purdy area. We will have to get a dive in.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

There is a south sound dive every Thursday . It's usually at TTN , Redondo or Les Davis. If tides are excellent you can count on DIW or Sunrise for a Thursday dive also.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

I'm also in Kitsap county. The screen name was not just the result of a fine passion for rural counties in Washington! Let's go diving sometime.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

@ json & kitsapdiver: Right on! Do keep me posted of your dive plans (suitable to my newbie abilities)... but I got the bug and I like to tow my weight, so fear not, I shall not remain a newbie...

I'll be watching the club dives and definitely catching up with WWW and the southsound thrs folks over the coming weeks and months as well as club dives.. And would love to hook up on MMM and similar as well, though that may happen somewhat less frequently due to a sadly problematic geographic problem (it's a wee bit outa the way for a weeknight for us southkitsap folk, and I's gots ta feeds me family... hence my job... which sadly gets into the way of diving and other pursuits)

My thanks again to y'all for a warm welcome...