July 15th - Dive Club BBQ w/ Presentation by John Rawlings

General banter about diving and why we love it.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

July 15th - Dive Club BBQ w/ Presentation by John Rawlings

Post by DiverDown »

this is a great article well worth reading!!
Last edited by DiverDown on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Who run barter town?
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

that is cool, and John Rawlings is one of our guys, way to go John
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

INCREDIBLE! =D>

Good Goin' John!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

=D> John Rawlings, You Da Man!

It's amazing what you'll find when you hang out at 200'
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Gentlemen....thank you for the kudos! However, It is important to me that you remember that I was simply a member of a TEAM. Each and every member of that team, both divers and non-divers, made significant contributions, without which we never would have been successful. The leadership of the team was provided by my friend, NPS Ranger Dan Pontbriand, the historical information was compiled by Bob Caso, and much of the shallow water searching was done by the father and son team of Bill and Joe Walker. There were many other people involved....including members of the Warren family.....all gave freely of their time and efforts.....and it paid off in the end!

I have a full-color presentation on the history of the "Warren search" (with an emphasis on both history and the actual dives) that I give to schools, civic groups and dive clubs. If the opportunity ever presents itself, I'd be most pleased to give the presentation to the members of this club if you would like me to.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Yes Yes Yes I am in!! I still havent made to nwsport divers yet to purchase the video. I suppose I should get off my butt and go get it.. Like I said I have been following that story for some time and I like to here about local history.. I dove lake Crescent a year or so ago with someone that lives in that area off his boat. We found some coke pellets on a slope underneath the walkway across from storm King park. Mabey from the suposed mule train that fell in the lake.
Who run barter town?
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Count me in, when and where?
I'm very interested.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow- yeah, I remember reading a long article all about that when it happened. Very cool, sorta like an "Unsolved deep lake detective mysteries" TV show!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I'm all over it, like flies on shit.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

We can have the presentation at my office on any weekend, I have a projector and plenty of space, plus a grill and a deck facing the water.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That would be REALLY cool! I'd love to be in on that!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Sounds like folks are interested! Calvin, I live in Mill Creek, so coming down to Bellevue would be no problem at all. It is a MS Powerpoint presentation that also has music and some video footage included - I assume that would be no problem from what I have heard of your technical skills! I could also bring some of my gear - double LP 112s, stage bottles, and my rebreather so that you guys could see some of the equipment that was utilized.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Oops, I should've clarified, my office is located at the Downtown Seattle waterfront. Actually, it is in the Seattle P-I building. If Bellevue works better for everyone, I can arrange to use the classroom at Underwater Sports.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I really think your office would be better because of the BBQ, and it is probably bigger that the class rooom at UWS Bell. John Is seattle to far? This is great a really good presentation and tech gear, I love gear :supz:
Maverick

STAIRS.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

We will feed and beer you if you come to Seattle! But I'll go to Bellevue, or pretty much wherever, to see the presentation; I love stuff like this!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

As long as it's not Sunday AM and I'm in town, count me in! :salute:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Seattle would be just fine! I'd just head down I-5 instead of I-405....no problem!

Question: Will getting my tech/rebreather gear up to your office be simple or will it be a monstrous undertaking? Elevators and hand-trucks would both be good things! HA!

- John

sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I might even be talked in to comeing up on a weekend
I would be verry intrestead in this and the chance to meet a Diver of Johns Talants would be worth the drive no matter where you lived

have to see how my work schudel is though they are starting up with the over time talk againe at work I dont like that.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I'll carry some gear John, i want to see it so i will carry it, I know Nailer99 will help, he's an ox.
Maverick

STAIRS.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I would be really surprised if Nailer99 didn't have a hand-truck in that dive mobile of his. My office is on the lobby level, so we can pull up right in front of the front door, then down a hallway about 60 feet.

Wow, I wish I had my own groupies, willing to haul my doubles around just to have me talk about em =D> (I'm just messin with you Mav).

So, what weekend are we talking about then? Is there diving involved as well? I'm about 15 minutes from Alki, or in the spirit of Mr. Rawlings and his explorations we could go see what's in the water at Myrtle Edwards right outside the deck.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

OK - avoiding Sundays at Tom's request - RIGHT NOW it looks like I have every Saturday in July open. They will fill up fast, however, (vacuums usually do!) so let me know which one works for the club and I'll be there.

Myrtle Edwards? What's THAT?

- John

sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I vote we pick a saturday mid July
this will give me time to talk the wife type person in to allowing me to go to

John will we be seeing you at the club BBQ?

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

sparky wrote:I vote we pick a saturday mid July
this will give me time to talk the wife type person in to allowing me to go to

John will we be seeing you at the club BBQ?

Sparky
Nope.....I can't make that one.

Sorry!

- John

Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

I would be interested in attending. I cant make it to the BBQ but can meet at Calvins office which is just down the street from me. Keep us updated. Mid July would be perfect.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Maverick wrote:I'll carry some gear John, i want to see it so i will carry it, I know Nailer99 will help, he's an ox.
I'm not too bright, but I can lift heavy objects! I'd be happy to help carry your gear.