Cove 2 eats....

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Cove 2 eats....

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Great dive at Cove 2 today. Nice vis. Had yet to try the new eats there so we gave Marination a try. The food was pretty good, but not great. The quaintness of the old Alki crab shack is definitely gone. I felt like I was in a cafeteria lunchroom. Zero ambiance. Overall, very much missing the old Crab Shack. Very disappointed.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Cove 2 eats....

Post by LCF »

The ambience is definitely different, and I dearly miss the intimacy of Yvonne knowing us all by name.

But I like the food. And it isn't all deep-fried.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

So far I've been liking the new spot, and the people are friendly. It doesn't have that Cheers feeling, but give it a few years and maybe some magic will happen. I like the food at the new spot a lot more (c'mon, they got SPAM).
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Tangfish wrote:So far I've been liking the new spot, and the people are friendly. It doesn't have that Cheers feeling, but give it a few years and maybe some magic will happen. I like the food at the new spot a lot more (c'mon, they got SPAM).
Spam.... No offense intended, but what is it with the spam??? I love Hawaii. Been there many times. The fermented rice and spam rolls wrapped in seaweed at every seven 11 type gas station....?????? They are like dognuts there....
One of my dear friends whos shall remain nameless....(I love you Linda) loves these things.... However, after opening one in the car. :huge: ..we humbly requested that she never do that again.....
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Sounds like my type of lady! She can open up a can of SPAM in my car anytime.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

It will probably take some time to get to know the people there and we will have to make the effort to do so.

We've been going there quite a few times and if you sit at the bar, you get some great hawaiian beer and full order menu and get to know the folks a little better..

tables are for sure less sociable than the bar area if you want to get to know the people.

I do miss the F&C crab place sometimes for the ambiance, but honestly, the food here is better (at least for my taste buds)..

you should try the spicy sausage masubi.. like a itialian sausage sushi.. and some hawaiian lager.. its pretty good.

We've always had good service (at the bar) and good time there.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Jacksonbrown wrote...

Spam.... No offense intended, but what is it with the spam??? I love Hawaii. Been there many times. The fermented rice and spam rolls wrapped in seaweed at every seven 11 type gas station....?????? They are like dognuts there....
For what it is worth, a few years ago I read a book called Are You Really Going to Eat That? In the book they claimed that spam is popular in Hawaii because it goes good with poi. I have no idea if it is true.

Dognuts?????
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

I like the new place way better. Really good sliders and tacos and kimchi fried rice.
They still have fish and chips too (not sure if it is on the menu but they have it).
And yes, sit at the bar.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

kdupreez wrote:It will probably take some time to get to know the people there and we will have to make the effort to do so.

We've been going there quite a few times and if you sit at the bar, you get some great hawaiian beer and full order menu and get to know the folks a little better..

tables are for sure less sociable than the bar area if you want to get to know the people.

I do miss the F&C crab place sometimes for the ambiance, but honestly, the food here is better (at least for my taste buds)..

you should try the spicy sausage masubi.. like a itialian sausage sushi.. and some hawaiian lager.. its pretty good.

We've always had good service (at the bar) and good time there.
Eh, they seem to be pretty good with names. They know mine (or at least a few of them do), and I am the least sociable person on the planet :eek:

Initially I wasn't a huge fan of the place. Then the food grew on me, then they expanded the menu, and then I got sick of eating there so often. Their menu is still pretty small. I'd love to see some more variation on it. I also think they would be a lot more popular with the dive crowd if they did expand their menu a bit. Maybe... Those are my thoughts. But hey! There's always The Matador up the street for those not satisfied! And that place will never leave you feeling unsatisfied. Unless you're under 21 and they boot your a** out....
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Magoi wrote:
Jacksonbrown wrote...

For what it is worth, a few years ago I read a book called Are You Really Going to Eat That? In the book they claimed that spam is popular in Hawaii because it goes good with poi. I have no idea if it is true.
Spam is popular in Hawaii because it was introduced by American GIs during WWII and required no refrigeration. It quickly became a mainstay in Hawaiian kitchens and subsequently the overall cuisine.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

It's quite popular in Korea too, and pretty much the only two ways that I'll eat it are: good spam musubi (which they have at Ma Kai, and goes great with beer), and good Korean spam sushi, which is deliciously divine, and way better than it sounds. Ma Kai's spam sliders are growing on me, though.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Come on...we are talking about Spam here. You know, with the greasy glob on top when you open the can??!! Reminds me of Aspic.....
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... I prefer Luna or Pegasus for my Cove 2 post-dive eats ... to each their own. Does no good to rehash history ... for better or worse, the AFC is gone for good ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Penopolypants wrote:It's quite popular in Korea too, and pretty much the only two ways that I'll eat it are: good spam musubi (which they have at Ma Kai, and goes great with beer), and good Korean spam sushi, which is deliciously divine, and way better than it sounds. Ma Kai's spam sliders are growing on me, though.
I ate plenty of spam when I was on my Korea tour... And loved it. My favorite Spam "recipe" though, is to take the greasy glob out of the can in one chunk, skewer it on a stick, and roast over the campfire before gnawing it off... Yumm! (an old geology student field-trip food prep technique...) :burntchef:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

RoxnDox wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:It's quite popular in Korea too, and pretty much the only two ways that I'll eat it are: good spam musubi (which they have at Ma Kai, and goes great with beer), and good Korean spam sushi, which is deliciously divine, and way better than it sounds. Ma Kai's spam sliders are growing on me, though.
I ate plenty of spam when I was on my Korea tour... And loved it. My favorite Spam "recipe" though, is to take the greasy glob out of the can in one chunk, skewer it on a stick, and roast over the campfire before gnawing it off... Yumm! (an old geology student field-trip food prep technique...) :burntchef:

Jim
Yikes, no one ever told me geology involved THAT!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Mortuus wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:

Jim
YUM, no one ever told me geology involved THAT! (Enrolling in Geology 101 as I'm typing this.. :burntchef: )

fixed that for ya..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Heh. Not quite. Took and passed it last quarter. But I do hope to take more geo classes
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Mortuus wrote:Heh. Not quite. Took and passed it last quarter and got no spam :crybaby: . But I do hope to take more geo classes as soon as possible in order to get as much spam as possible :clap:
Damn, son, stop making me fix your posts.. I should be a Mod!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:
Mortuus wrote:Heh. Not quite. Took and passed it last quarter and got no spam :crybaby: . But I do hope to take more geo classes as soon as possible in order to get as much spam as possible :clap:
Son? :nutty:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:
kdupreez wrote:
Son? :nutty:

Ask no questions.. tell no lies.. :uh:
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

kdupreez wrote:
Mortuus wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:

Jim
YUM, no one ever told me geology involved THAT! (Enrolling in Geology 101 as I'm typing this.. :burntchef: )
You, sir, are obviously a twisted and warped personality. You'd fit right in! :supz:

fixed that for ya..
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

I'm with Bob on this -- much prefer the Luna for a post-dive debrief now. Oh well, it is there and must live with it. At least the fries are good!
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Grateful Diver wrote:... I prefer Luna or Pegasus for my Cove 2 post-dive eats ... to each their own. Does no good to rehash history ... for better or worse, the AFC is gone for good ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Where is the Luna or Pegasus?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Luna is a burger joint up harbour ave. almost right under the west seattle bridge..

Pegasys is a pizza joint around alki beach park (down the main street with all the restaurants, etc.)

I honestly prefer the Marination joint.. they are right there and food is good and people are cool..

that and parking both at luna and pagasys is a PITA..
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The Pegasus Tom's special is my favorite pizza in the world, but I'd just as soon stay at the Cove and eat fried rice and drink beer, personally. Koos nailed it -- parking is a pain!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames