Perhaps the craziest question ever posed...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Perhaps the craziest question ever posed...

Post by olalladiver »

on this board...

Or not... Who knows...

So I dive. And I motorcycle. Which leads to the perfectly logical question: Has anyone ever carried their dive gear on their bike? ... This raises lots of questions. Questions that need answers. Including weight, load balance, how to protect the cyclinders (or conversely, how to control your rocket bike if you cleave off a valve or two), potential DOT violations, saltwater dribbles on your drivechain... etc etc...

And yes, I know all (ok most) of the reasons why this is probably dumb and why I'll probably not end up doing it at the end of the day... but I'm dying to know if anyone has and how it worked out if they did...

I keep thinking it must be possible (ok, it's definitely POSSIBLE), if perhaps not entirely legal... or perhaps even smart... But I've seen lots of crazy things carried on bikes over the years (microwaves, HUGE ice chests, fully assembled lawnmowers, metal bar stock strapped to the bike horizontally to the sides (think tightropewalker, not jouster, with a unistrut balance stick at 60mph... thankfully only maybe 4-5 ft wide.) I've done none of these things personally, but have done a good many foolish things in my day and am always looking to up the ante.

olalladiver
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Perhaps the craziest question ever posed...

Post by Norris »

Simple....Cept sometimes your fins get scraped

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Actually it is a very poor idea. Sorta like ice skating on a pond in 32 degree weather :eek: It places your center of gravity way to high to control. If you never had to stop you might be ok but without centrifugal force to help once that weight starts going to one side it's doomsday. Lets ask a simple question. Have you every fallen with your full gear on? Imagine that with several hundred pounds of bike between your legs and moving in traffic. :eek:

OMG that almost to gruesome to contemplate! As far as state laws? If it ain't illegal it dam sure should be.

Get a side car or trailer and put that weight close to the ground if you want to combine your 2 past times. One of the guys on here has a cool Russian bike with side car that I bet gets lots of comments at the dive site. :popcorn:
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Oh. Wait. That's my dive buddy in my hack. The girlfriend is holding him :)
Attachments
image.jpg
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

OMG! That's priceless Norris! I'd think you'd want a rebreather for long road trips though?

Yeah, obviously lots of stability questions (guess that falls in the etc, etc section)... You'd have to go really low or sidecar or trailer... Like I said, I'm aware of the physics and laws that make this all probably a "never going to happen" sorta thing... but there's always that part of me going "OMG, wouldn't it be fun if it did?"... Just curious if anyone had. Figured the sidecar idea would come up... it's probably the only way it could happen and even then, probably not... but man I gotta ask... haha... If I gotta strap anything to the front or back... well, then I'll just drive a cage...

Don't worry, It's not really a serious question (I don't think... unless... wait... Naw, just kiddin' )

btw... Nice divebuddy camerone...
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I saw some divers once with a little trailer behind their bike with all the dive gear in it.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Yeah. The claws are hell on drysuit seals, though.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

When I first got certified, one of the other OW students rode his bike from Seattle to Edmonds UW Park, wore BC/Tank over his moto kit, fins, wetsuit, etc in saddlebags. In December even. That was the only time I've seen it. Day two someone took pity on him and insisted on hauling his tank :) I heard he continued to moto-dive for a while, he just had his buddy transport tank for him most of the time.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Can probably be done, but you can just imagine the chaos were you to come off the bike with 3000+psi of rocketry strapped you your back..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Not to mention showing up already hypothermic 3/4 of the year around here (from a guy that only owned cycles for ~6 years)
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

the tank is (if I'm not mistaken) a big DOT violation though if it's strapped to your back it is upright and secured... hmmm that's interesting.

I'd suggest getting a trailer. They're not that expensive and you'd be amazed at how handy they can be... or get a side hack and it'll serve double duty! :) That's a great pic BTW Camerone
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Waynne Fowler wrote:the tank is (if I'm not mistaken) a big DOT violation though if it's strapped to your back it is upright and secured... hmmm that's interesting.

I'd suggest getting a trailer. They're not that expensive and you'd be amazed at how handy they can be... or get a side hack and it'll serve double duty! :) That's a great pic BTW Camerone
It's neither commercial nor interstate. The DOT has nothing they can say or do about it at a federal level. WA state had nothing to my knowledge otherwise

The trailers are interesting but take some getting used to. Then again, so does riding with a chair. This one is a 1954 Steib LS200 that's rideable as is (and will be affixed to my '60 BMw R69 in the next few weeks.) It's on my to-do list to do the cosmetic restoration next winter...the mechanical work and electrical is done, but it needs cleanup to pair with the restored bike.

I would rather travel on two or three wheels any day than on four. I actually love riding in the rain in Seattle, but the right gear, heated undies and grips, and good tires make a world of difference
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

thank you for straightening me out on that issue Camerone, I've been of the impression that they had strict control over transporting cylinders even in the private sector. I've done a bit of searching and while I cant find anything that specifically pardons us from observing the same restrictions as commercial or interstate entities. likewise I can find nothing that spaciffically binds us either.

maybe if you ir anyone else know of specific regulations that relieve us of those obligations they could point me in the right direction... thanks again Camerone.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

DOT is commercial transport only, otherwise you would be required to have a placard when transporting O2 cylinders in your car or pickup truck.

DOT's pervue is as a regulatory agency, and their regulations are specific and limited to commercial transportation only..

You learn this in any CDL class.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Waynne Fowler wrote:

maybe if you ir anyone else know of specific regulations that relieve us of those obligations they could point me in the right direction... thanks again Camerone.
That would be REALLY hard to do since that is NOT how laws are written. Laws are written to say what you can NOT do, not what you can.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

After reading this post, I had a serious case of "I know I've seen this somewhere!".
This link is featured on the Apeks UK website:

Diving Bikers: Motorcycle diary of a wreck diver
http://www.divingbikers.net/
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

hey Olalladiver, I live just accross the Purdy bridge. I also ride.

Like you I have thought about this at great length. The one thing that holds me back is potential theft...You are going to be leaving a lot of stuff unsupervised topside while diving.

I have heard of people doing it before, on the bike site pnwriders someone up by cresent lake saw a diver on a bike.

What i would do is wear BC/Tank on my back over my riding jacket. Then have my dive gear/weights in my dive bag strapped on the passenger seat area.

Very doable but like i said, theft when your in the water...Let me know if you want to do this though, i would join ya!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

*disclaimer
The photo is of MattleyCrue and he did not go further than just a couple hundred yards in order to get the shot. I too ride a motorcycle and carrying my dive gear on my bike is not something that appeals to me. Wrecking with a full HP tank would completely change the dynamic of what the human body would do in a collision on a motorcycle. If the tank should get punctured or have the neck smashed off in said collision....ugh.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

It can be done. The riding part wouldn't be too bad if the weight is distributed properly. After all, a set of SCUBA gear weighs less than your average passenger. Of course some bikes would be vastly more suited than others. Having said that I can't think of any reason why it SHOULD be done. It's probably not real safe for a number of reasons and gearing up and down would be a major PITA.
I can tell you this from experience: trying to shift gears with your fins is a bitch :)
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Well, this has been an interesting little exchange...

I think I'm kinda where I was at when I started... Great fantasy, but I recognize the real world problems and risks and for my part won't be strapping a couple of unprotected hp130's on the sides of my rocketbike saddlebags anytime too soon (and if I ever do it, it'll be with somewhat better protection that just a couple straps and some bubblewrap). Hadn't even really gotten as far as the whole theft problem, but it's a fair point... suppose you could mitgate that somewhat with some locking givis or something (It's as secure as a car with glass windows or trunk, after all).

Anyway, should any of you really try this (it sounds like mostly people haven't, at least in first person and excepting a couple of admittedly cool 3rd person stories ;) ), be sure to let me know how it goes.

For me, I'll be concentrating on diving and biking as both fun, but separate hobies, at least for the time being... each with a set of risks I try to minimize while still enjoying them...

Thanks all for your input... I may come back a year from now and revisit this thread...

Be well, be happy, be safe all... Happy diving! (And biking!)