Stolen Dive Gear at Redondo today (4/21/13)

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Seven Seas Scuba
Just Settling In

Stolen Dive Gear at Redondo today (4/21/13)

Post by Seven Seas Scuba »

UPDATE: Stolen gear recovered 4/23/13 (less than 48 hours after the theft) and the two thiefs are currently in custody thanks to the crew at the Federal Way Underwater Sports Store. Not only a great shop, great dive friends! Thank you David!

So bummed to post that one of our dive students had his personal dive gear along with one of our rental tanks stolen from Redondo today around 1:30pm. One of our instructors and 2 advanced students (new to NW diving) were taking a break in-between dives and walked about 50' away form their gear for a coffee. A few minutes later, they realized one set of gear was gone! No other divers were nearby.

We have alerted the authorities and are spreading identifying info about this dive gear ASAP. The kit taken included:

Zeagle Ranger BC - Medium, It had a dive alert plus attached and 2 yellow weight pockets with 18lbs of weight. serial number coming.
SubGear Reg Set - SubGear is a ScubaPro subsidiary. It was a Cayman 1st (serial# 1080401857) and 2nd stage (serial# 1080401857), Oceanic Alpha 8 octo (serial# 05149535), and a 3 gauge console w/ Subgear XP-10 computer.
HP 80 (steel tank with an adaptable yoke/din valve serial# 800025) - this is our rental tank so it will be numbered with our name on the neck and our VIP sticker.
Canister light (Dusty's light)
Oceanic Mask - clear w/ blue boarder around lens
and they even got 1 glove

Any info about this theft or assistance in reclaiming it would be great. Thank you Northwest Dive Club community in advance.

-Seven Seas Scuba
Last edited by Seven Seas Scuba on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Stolen Dive Gear at Redondo today (4/21/13)

Post by Dusty2 »

That is so strange. There is almost no gear theft there. Be assured all eyes will be focused to find this lowlife! Thanks for posting we will be on the lookout. We Don,t need this kind of people in our popular dive spots!
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

That's just sh*tty... =(

I hope they find the dirtbag who did it. I don't dive Redondo a whole lot, but I always feel like the area is very sketchy, especially at night with all the drunk dropout lowlifes who like to hang around there. I am shocked that it happened in the afternoon though! That's insane.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Seriously?
That is just awful! Hopefully we will find this gear!
I'm so sorry to hear of this at one of my favourite spots!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Seven Seas Scuba
Just Settling In

Please note we've edited the original post to include updated details about the stolen dive gear. We have also sent out emails to many of the Washington dive shops. A police report has been filed, so if anyone has any information about this theft, please contact the police first.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Found!

Post by Emilyrc »

Just heard that his gear has been found, mand the guys who took it are in custody. They apparently tried to sell it.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Awesomeness!!!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

woot! success
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Yay! Do you happen to know if they were diver a-holes or just regular a-holes?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Seven Seas Scuba
Just Settling In

BOOM! We also just got the call. Thank you David at Federal Way Underwater Sports for recognizing the gear and calling the police! Talk about swift justice! One can only wonder if they were divers because they (a) went to the closest dive shop to Redondo; and (b) had tried to sell a clearly marked dive shop rental tank!
Last edited by Seven Seas Scuba on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

:taco: :joshsmith: :taco: :joshsmith: :taco: :joshsmith:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
DFessler
Avid Diver

Post by DFessler »

First of all without Seven Seas Scuba Cary's due diligence in sending out an email to the shops, this would not ever have happened. And to answer others, he was a doper with 30k in warrants, NOT a diver...
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

DFessler wrote:First of all without Seven Seas Scuba Cary's due diligence in sending out an email to the shops, this would not ever have happened. And to answer others, he was a doper with 30k in warrants, NOT a diver...
Had to be doper to be that stupid! Steal gear at a popular site and then take it to the nearest shop to try to sell it? Good thing there wasn't a gun in there. He'd probably shot himself. :nutty:
Seven Seas Scuba
Just Settling In

David, we may have been quick to get info out there but you were the one who "apprehended" the goof balls :nutty:!

We owe you one! :partyman:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

DFessler wrote:....he was a doper with 30k in warrants, NOT a diver...
Seems to be a lot of those around, unfortunately.

Chalk one up for the good guys!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
msblazer
Just Settling In

Post by msblazer »

It's unfortunately becoming a serious problem. My wife and I have a place in Queen Anne, and the police have advised not to leave anything in cars parked on the street. It seems that the slugs are coming out of hibernation (no offense intended toward nudis) and are getting bolder about smash and grabs. Just a word to the wise - keep an eye on your gear wherever you are. Ah, the joys of spring.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

HAH! Serves em right. Glad they were caught! Even though I have no stake in the issue, thanks to the people who helped out. I enjoy seeing the dive community work together
Macdiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Macdiver »

Glad to see they got caught so you could get your gear back. Unfortunately thanks to our lame judicial system they will be doing it again soon. Had a similar experience and they were back at it in no time.
ReddMan253
Getting To Know Folks

Post by ReddMan253 »

I heard about the apprehension. Way to be on your toes David. :supz: What was your favorite drink again? I'll get you a bottle next time I'm in.
[sarcasm]Sometimes I wish I was an Octopus so I can octo-pimp slap eight people at one time.[/sarcasm]
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I keep saying a poisonous snake in a black bag marked Jewelry will crack down on the local criminal population. Glad you got your gear back and can we get a mug shot of perp to post at redondo.
Jeff Castor
Boathouse55
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Boathouse55 »

That is why I sold my place in Queen Anne at the end of 2004. Of course they tore the house down and put town houses up...
msblazer wrote:It's unfortunately becoming a serious problem. My wife and I have a place in Queen Anne, and the police have advised not to leave anything in cars parked on the street. It seems that the slugs are coming out of hibernation (no offense intended toward nudis) and are getting bolder about smash and grabs. Just a word to the wise - keep an eye on your gear wherever you are. Ah, the joys of spring.