Turtle Fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Turtle Fins

Post by Joshua Smith »

I picked up a pair of Turtles from Matt at NWSD last week. I dove them yesterday at the Edmonds oil dock with Calvin, Ken, and BJ. All I can say is:

"Wow! What an improvement!" Calvin always beats me out to the end of the dock (it's a loooong surface swim, for those who haven't dived there) and I beat him there without trying very hard....we weren't racing or anything, but there was a noticeable improvement over my Apollo XT Pros (a stiffer version of the standard biofin) I could feel every kick pushing me a little farther and faster than what I'm used to! They are a little harder to move through the water- ie, there's more resistance per kick, but that resistance seems to be directly translated into forward motion! The end result for me is that I feel like I'm moving faster and not working as hard. BJ and I thumbed our dive after 10 minutes or so, due to heavy current and poor vis (Calvin and Ken were separated from us at the beginning of the dive, but we'd agreed to stay in our buddy pairs, so it was OK) and I was really glad to have the "turtle power" for fighting the current! (We'd calculated for slack, but there was a huge exchange, and slack felt non-existent to us- Calvin and Ken apparently got into the lee, and had a good dive anyway)

Anyway, I can't wait to dive them some more, but I'm very impressed with them so far!

edit- spelling
Last edited by Joshua Smith on Mon May 14, 2007 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I love my turtle fins! \:D/ "Turtle Power" reminds me of my Ninja Turtle watching days... :smt027
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I gotta give em a try next time we go diving, Nailer. :partyman: I'm not sure if you beat me out b/c of the fins or b/c you ate your Wheaties that morning. :naka:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

I love my Turtles. Couldn't imagine diving without them . . . glad you like yours!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Depending on your boot size (and more importantly width), jets would be a comperable option for a smaller foot size. I have to wear turtles for my rock boots but wear jets in the tropics... :salute:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

There must be a lot of people with humongoid feet around here. I recently started diving the Turtles also, but they seem to be a little big on me. Scubapro certainly needs to do something with their XL / XXL descrepancy.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

One more vote for Turtles!
I found my old Blades to be excellent fins; until....I went to doubles. Then they just unloaded thrust to fast. So, I spent a lot of time churning and not a lot of time going. Made me real tired.

Then I had two very nice folks let me try Turtles. They are a little bit compared to the sqeeze on fit of the Blades. I keep thinking they are going to fall off. But they never do and are great.

Now to get a pair of XL Jets for wetsuit work and I'm all set.

In short, at last, you'll love the things.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sergeant Pepper wrote:There must be a lot of people with humongoid feet around here. I recently started diving the Turtles also, but they seem to be a little big on me. Scubapro certainly needs to do something with their XL / XXL descrepancy.
It ain't that folks have big feet ... it's just that Turtles are more appropriate for drysuit boots ... I wouldn't part with mine.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

dsteding wrote:I love my Turtles. Couldn't imagine diving without them . . . glad you like yours!
+1
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

I wish I saw this thread before I bought my XXL Jets... of course there is always e-Bay...