WWW - 5/1/13 (I-90 Bridge edition!)

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Mortuus
Amphibian

WWW - 5/1/13 (I-90 Bridge edition!)

Post by Mortuus »

Hi all,

This week we will be moving WWW to the I-90 Bridge dive site! Vis sucks in the Sound right now, so we are headed to the lake. If you have not dove the lake before, and are curious about it, this is a great opportunity for a first experience! Not only is this site pretty damn cool, but the lake has hundreds of diveable sites (a lot of them boat dives). This shore dive provides a great intro to lake diving. And if you can dive Lake Washington, then you can dive just about anywhere in the world. It is dark, murky, and eerie, but that doesn't stop it from being a hell of a lot of fun. So if you're curious, come check it out with us!

Since this is WWW, the same rules apply: If you would like to try any gear, just post in the thread, or let me know in a PM, and it will be arranged. There is always an option for "Dive 3" afterwards if enough people are down.

If you want to read up on the site, there is a topic here on the board you can look at (http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=190), as well as many other places to find info online.

And furthermore, if you have any reservations about coming out to one of these, we are happy to announce that we dive with ALL divers of ALL levels, ALL abilities, and ALL equipment configurations, and ALWAYS have done so! Don't believe it? Come down and we will even greet you with a smile and a hug! :)

Dive 1 - 4:30

Dive 2 - 6:30

Dive 3 - TBD :partyman:

One final thought:
GUE Seattle has recently aligned with MDS to work on a Lake Washington/Lake Union exploration/documentation project. MDS has already done a spectacular amount of work on this, but we "goo" divers are new to the scene. We had a booth at the Tacoma expo with some information on it. If you are interested in this project (maybe even in participating), and would like to know more, coming down to this event would be a great place to learn! Or by PMing one of us or the MDS guys, but where is the fun in that? We are divers after all, so we do like to get out and dive on occasion ;)

See you there,

Dylan
Last edited by Mortuus on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Re: WWW - 5/1/13 (I-90 Bridge edition!)

Post by Mortuus »

Here is a preview of some of the exploration work that is going on:

http://vimeo.com/56728193
Kelvininin
Avid Diver

Post by Kelvininin »

Admittedly this is one of the dives on my hit list. Just might take you up on it. Never dove freshwater before.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

I wish I could make it this week. I hope there will be opportunities for an I90 version of WWW in the future. BTW, will the seals in Cove 2 suffer separation anxiety in our absence? :)

Cheers
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

i90 bridge is an awesome dive! one of my favourite lake shore dives! I LOVE diving the lake.. no gear to rinse.. less weight.. all round just pretty darn cool.

Unfortunately, I cant make this week's dive... My niece is coming for a visit and I'll be at the airport.. and then we are off to HAWAII!!!

hope to do this i90 dive again the minute we get back!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Mortuus made me conquer my reluctance to dive in the lake and do this dive last year. It was actually really fun, although I was awfully glad I had someone with me who knew where we were going! There are some big small-mouthed bass at the base of the bridge pilings, and the old bridge sections are covered with freshwater sculpins. The structure itself is pretty cool. And the viz, no matter what it is, can't be worse than the Sound is right now . . . :)

Not sure if I'll be there, though. I came home from God's Pocket with a horrendous cold.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
archisgore
Aquaphile

Post by archisgore »

I'm in for tomorrow! I'm finally back after some hellish work weeks. :-) Can't wait to do this one. I only frog-kick now. So if I silt, it's because I begin waving my hands.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

I will be there, homework permitting. That means likely for dive 2 only, although we'll see
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I can make dive #2. See you there around 5:30-6:00 for the 6:30 splash :)
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I'm fighting a cold so can't make this. Last Saturday viz around the bridge was great.

I'd love to see some crawdad pics Jesse! :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Jeremy wrote:I'm fighting a cold so can't make this. Last Saturday viz around the bridge was great.

I'd love to see some crawdad pics Jesse! :)
You got it Jeremy!
Kelvininin
Avid Diver

Post by Kelvininin »

The diving gods are not on my side this month. Likely not going to make it. A coworker is leaving for a two year assignment in South Korea tomorrow, so send off tonight. Unless its canceled I won't make it. I want to do this dive as well!
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

We will probably do more of these in the future. At least I would like to do more I-90 WWW dives. So if you miss it this time, don't worry! There will likely be others.

Jesse, wanna do dive 2 together?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

That works for me. It is on the Seattle side of I-90, correct? Do you have directions to the parking spot?
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

It is right underneath the bridge on the Seattle side. There is a small park down there. It's easy to find if you look on google maps. I am mobile right now, and will not have computer access until after the tweek tonight, so unfortunately I ant provide a direct link to any directions. Just get on the road that runs parallel to the lake shore, and turn into the parking lot under the bridge
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Mortuus wrote:It is right underneath the bridge on the Seattle side. There is a small park down there. It's easy to find if you look on google maps. I am mobile right now, and will not have computer access until after the tweek tonight, so unfortunately I ant provide a direct link to any directions. Just get on the road that runs parallel to the lake shore, and turn into the parking lot under the bridge
Perfect, I will find it. See you around 5:30-6:00.
archisgore
Aquaphile

Post by archisgore »

I'll be there for Dive #2 too. I'm on 32% today (finally permanently shifted out of air.) So limited to 100 fsw.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

The bridge only goes to 75-80 ffw
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Unless you're Jeremy. I hear Jeremy has managed to burrow himself into the silt to at LEAST 91ft! :)
archisgore
Aquaphile

Post by archisgore »

Anyone interested in Dive 1? I just got free from work, and it's too bright to waste the day. I can make it there by 4 if I push it.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Mortuus wrote:Unless you're Jeremy. I hear Jeremy has managed to burrow himself into the silt to at LEAST 91ft! :)
I was hoping people wouldn't notice, but my snorkel sticking up out of the bottom gave me away.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Great dive with Jesse! We didn't find the bridge, but we still had a great hour and twenty minute long dive swimming around finding cool fish and interesting pieces of trash. I think we surfaced about a stones throw away from the PBM Mariner too! We were so very, very lost. Great dive though!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Surface swim to the third piling on the right, drop, and head east..if you don't see it after 20 yards or so, hang a left and head north and you'll hit it right away.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Yeah, great dive Dylan. It was nice meeting some new people too! Here you go Jeremy...

Also, if someone could help me with a couple IDs, I'd really appreciate it!

Freshwater Sculpin?

Perch?

Shrimp or Baby Crawdad?

What are the white things on the clam?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Awesome Photos Jesse!!

I love the one where the crayfish is peeking through the hubcap..

i90 dive (when you know where the bridge is..) is one of my favs!!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White