Currents in Mexico - Cabo San Lucas

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
monk
Avid Diver

Currents in Mexico - Cabo San Lucas

Post by monk »

Does anyone know of any websites for current predictions in Mexico? Specifically Cabo San Lucas - Gordo Banks.

I would like to book my dive (in a few weeks) on a day with good currents.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Currents in Mexico - Cabo San Lucas

Post by CaptnJack »

There's no mexican oceanographic agency comparable to NOAA, I while NOAA does have predictions for some non-US areas of the world, there are none near Cabo. So given that whoever is taking you out is mostly going by their own gut prediction, your best bet is to just look at a moon phase table. You want days with a "1/2" moon not a full or new moon, these will have the smallest tides and thus the smallest currents - assuming there's no big storms in the Pacifc heaping water up against the peninsula.
Here's a lunar calender by month if its not printed on any of your paper calenders.
http://lunaf.com/english/moon-phases/lu ... ndar-2013/
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Your best bet is to talk to the dive ops in the area. Good currents = moderate/strong currents for seeing stuff at Gordo Banks. Otherwise you're just hanging in the water, waiting. Not much comes by on small current days.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Penopolypants wrote:Your best bet is to talk to the dive ops in the area. Good currents = moderate/strong currents for seeing stuff at Gordo Banks. Otherwise you're just hanging in the water, waiting. Not much comes by on small current days.
Pants for the win! :eric:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Recommend you consider a drive or ride over to Cabo Pulmo and book with the PADI shop there. Really nice dive sites and the operators know what they are doing. Current has not been an issue at the sites they have taken me. It is also interesting to watch them launch the boats into the surf with a pickup.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

CaptnJack wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:Your best bet is to talk to the dive ops in the area. Good currents = moderate/strong currents for seeing stuff at Gordo Banks. Otherwise you're just hanging in the water, waiting. Not much comes by on small current days.
Pants for the win! :eric:
Lol, more like "Pants paid a heck of a lot of pesos to hang I the water and see lots of nothing, and doesn't want anyone else to have to feel that pain". Big pelagics like that site, but mostly when there is current to make it interesting.

I second Cabo Pulmo. Not many big critters, but we did see a huge and gorgeous manta,, and massive schools of fish.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!