Epic diving Misery Point Reef and Pinnacle

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Epic diving Misery Point Reef and Pinnacle

Post by Jeremy »

Met up Saturday with Mortuus, CaptnJack, and MrsJack for some amazing diving in northern Hood Canal. On the way over, ran into Coulterboy who was also on his way over for some great diving and possible fish murder. Said "Hi" and "Bye" and proceeded to Pleasant Harbor to join up with the Jack's and their boat, the "Waterdog."

Once there, Mortuus realized that he forgot his hood back in Edmonds. Figured we had three choices here: go ahead with plan but dive hoodless, alter plan to head down to Hoodsport, buy hood, and dive Sund Rock, or head home. He said he wanted to go ahead with the plan and dive hoodless...against my better judgement. I put the over/under on him lasting at 15 minutes before needing to call the dive. If you've dove with Mortuus...you know he is a complete wuss over the slightest chill.

Headed out to Misery Point Reef which I had done as a shore dive a few weeks ago during my Fischnaller quest. Now I had a chance to revisit it via boat. I plunged over the side and waited for hoodless Mortuus to join me. Splash! We started to descend down the line into the hundreds of jellies floating around. Hit 30 fsw about 2 minutes into the dive when Mortuus got my attention and gave me the thumbs up - dive over! Well, what was I expecting? I started giving myself grief about listening to this guy and wasting an entire day. But...at 10 fsw....he gave me an okay and a thumbs down! Twas a miracle! Allright....! We descended onto the fabulous reef (if you haven't been to Misery Point - go!) and saw schools of hundreds of rockfish everywhere. Viz was 20 ft+....amazing! Saw an old white huge octo among all the beams. I kept a close tab on my hoodless buddy who seemed to be doing ok. Red Mortuus hair flowed everywhere, like a Lion's Mane. Pretty awesome sight, wish I had my camera. Bubbles stuck to the red Mortuus hair and made it spread out in all directions. We ended up spending 45 minutes on the reef. I had poo-pooed the reef somewhat to CaptnJack and he said it was better than I made it sound. Well, yes...it's quite nice really.

We headed back to Pleasant Harbor for a break. CaptnJack has his guests ride up front as he cranks the boat full throttle and no doubt enjoys watching us get smashed around on every wave with roughly 10 gallons of water hitting us in the face every few seconds. :) I accepted my fate and had more fun on this boat ride than I should have. :partydance:

We did a second dive at the Brinnon Pinnacle. More good viz and Mortuus hair again flew everywhere as we dodged in and out of actual Lion's Manes. We descended the steeper side and came upon two huge mated wolfies. They seemed friendly and we cautiously moved towards them until we were about two or three feet away. Suddenly....ZOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM!!!! out of nowhere CaptnJack somehow managed to pilot himself with his scooter at high speed between the narrow window of us and the wolfies as he zipped from behind us to straight up ahead. Whoa! Even the wolfies seemed impressed with the Top Gun maneuver.

Flaming hair Mortuus and I continued to explore the Pinnacle where there seemed to be something hiding in every one of the thousands of crevices. The lings here are equal even to Edmonds in size and number. Vermillion followed us everywhere. It was a shame but after 45 minutes we had to reluctantly thumb the dive.

Just a great great day out on the water here in the PNW with some fellow NWDC members. It was a privledge spending the day with everyone and CaptnJack is ridiculously knowledgable about boating and diving. It was a great pleasure!!

And hats off to Mortuus for pulling off a couple of hoodless dives. You're hardcore dude! :supz:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Epic diving Misery Point Reef and Pinnacle

Post by Dusty2 »

Super Hardcore! I wouldn't last 10min. without a hood. Been there, done it and ain't going back! :nutty:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LMAO that "report" was something else :eric:
Glad you had a good time, thanks for motivating me to finally try Misery Point reef, we both enjoyed it :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Wish somebody had had a camera . . . the visual on flying red hair full of bubbles is precious!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

LCF wrote:Wish somebody had had a camera . . . the visual on flying red hair full of bubbles is precious!
I guess you'll just have to come to Crescent then! Hoodless in the 60 degree water there is no problem.

Thanks Jeremy for the writeup! I wanted to do one, but I had either too much work to do, or I was too lazy. I like to tell myself that the first reason is closer to the truth.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

haha - thats a awesome dive report Jeremy!!

I can believe The Lion did those dives hoodless, he is the worst cold water wuss I know :neener:

Richard - Thats super nice of you take these boys boat diving, I know they enjoyed every second of it.

I've been on your boat before as has many other local divers and its very very admirable thing you are doing for the community and I Thank you for that.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Nice! I bet The Lion was a sight to behold.

I'd been lead to believe misery point was only an option as a boat dive... Maybe I'll have to get that Fischnaller book...

Sounds like a hoot... Glad you had fun and hats off for making sure the show went on Mortuus! (or is that hoods off to you?)

olalladiver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

olalladiver wrote:I'd been lead to believe misery point was only an option as a boat dive... Maybe I'll have to get that Fischnaller book...
Realistically, if you avoid all the private tidelands and trespassing on them, its a boat dive. Kinda like Tolmie state park barges are a boat (or scooter) dive.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Jeremy is just hellbent on making every "boat dive" into a shore dive. You know what he said when we were driving north along the coast of the hood canal on the way home? As he gazed out towards the Pinnacle dive site, he said, "Looks like it might be doable from shore."

Smdh...
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

I respect that.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

It makes it very easy to see why he sticks to single tank diving =P
Although Jeremy, if you just get a set of doubles, there's no rule saying you can't still use your single tanks for dives with long walks... Just sayin'! :smt064
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

LCF wrote:Wish somebody had had a camera . . . the visual on flying red hair full of bubbles is precious!
A surface shot...?
Mortuus.jpg
Now that's the way to be a gamer! Much respect, Mortuus!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

LOL - I think Dylan should use this for his profile pic! its seriously looks just like him too :p
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White