As Required!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
winte.r
Avid Diver

As Required!

Post by winte.r »

I'm John and I'm new here, if there is already another John which there always is I'm equally comfortable with Jack (lots of Johns in my family) or Shipwreck (thanks to an unfortunate resemblance to the GI Joe character when I grow a beard and asshole friends).

I'm 5'8/170 pounds with a 44 inch bust and my hobbies are Motorcycles, Water Skiing, Photography, and Scuba Diving. My favorite color is red, and I also like long walks on the beach and Irish fiddle music. My favorite beer is Rolling Rock, and I go tanning for the vitamins. THE VITAMINS.

I've got about ~20'ish dives on since my PADI OW cert in January which means I still mysteriously disappear around 25ft on an ascent and bob around on the surface looking like the michelin man. I also like to walk upright along the bottom dragging my fins instead of swimming, and I go through my first 1000 pounds in about 5 minutes regardless of depth. Despite all that I like to pretend like I'm Jacques Cousteau when I talk about gear, and I can pretty confidently tell you what the best BCD, dry suit, regulator or rebreather is, because I read it on the internet.

I came to this place because last week as I was packing up after a dive at Redondo and drinking in public a full grown adult introduced himself to me as Scubie Doo. Actually I might have broken the ice by asking about the piece of equipment he was carrying around that has an objective value greater than the vehicle I was driving, because nothing makes anyone more comfortable than what appears to be a street alcoholic asking how much your camera cost. In any case, the sequence of events was nearly identical to the movie Tron, I was walking around in reality when I was sucked into the internet.

I took the opportunity to impose myself on the Three Tree dive yesterday and I had an excellent time with a fine group of people who I intend to impose myself on again and again and again, much like an abusive relationship but instead of hitting anyone I just silt up the bottom and cut 20 minutes off the group's dive, and you can't leave me because I'm so pretty.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (5.88 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
Last edited by winte.r on Fri May 31, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Re: As Required!

Post by Mortuus »

Ladies and gents, THIS is how to do an intro! Welcome to the board =P
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

lol...dude - welcome!!!!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Cool intro, You got started with the right guy, Jesse is a great dive buddy though after you silt up his shot a few times you might be at risk of accidental drowning! :penelope:
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Best.

Intro.

Ever.

:notworthy:

Welcome
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

Think I was the other goofball you met at redondo, btw
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Welcome!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Mortuus wrote:Ladies and gents, THIS is how to do an intro! Welcome to the board =P
No s#!t

That was fricken awesome. Rolling rock for everyone... on John of course!
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

olalladiver wrote:Think I was the other goofball you met at redondo, btw
Thanks for that, I would have mentioned it but I didn't think anyone would believe I met an anthropomorphic talking sheep, and to everyone else thanks for the warm welcome, I expected nothing less after what I've experienced so far. I've always told my friends and family (I'm from California) that people in Seattle are friendly but don't want to be your friend, and I'm definitely going to have to amend that to: except for the scuba divers, unless you aren't a diver, in which case you can go to hell.

Seriously though can I join your club, is there an application? I'll bring a case of RR to the next dive if you let me in Jesse
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Nice intro, John!

Had a good time meeting and diving with you last night. Feel free to impose on future dives whenever you can.

Mike
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

winte.r wrote:
olalladiver wrote:
Seriously though can I join your club, is there an application? I'll bring a case of RR to the next dive if you let me in Jesse
Traditionally, the case of RR would qualify as the application...hell, bring some tacos too and you might be nominated as a mod...

:taco:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

winte.r wrote:
Thanks for that, I would have mentioned it but I didn't think anyone would believe I met an anthropomorphic talking sheep, and to everyone else thanks for the warm welcome, I expected nothing less after what I've experienced so far. I've always told my friends and family (I'm from California) that people in Seattle are friendly but don't want to be your friend, and I'm definitely going to have to amend that to: except for the scuba divers, unless you aren't a diver, in which case you can go to hell.

Oh, wow. Best intro post, ever. Welcome to the NWDC.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

I updated my avatar ladies

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

mpenders wrote:
winte.r wrote:
olalladiver wrote:
Traditionally, the case of RR would qualify as the application...hell, bring some tacos too and you might be nominated as a mod...

:taco:
I feel like I shouldn't have to remind a PADI instructor of the terrible, terrible danger of gastric embolism on ascent that a taco represents Mike.

OK I'm done being ridiculous, you guys are great and I wish I'd found this place much sooner, I'm looking forward to every dive I can get in, and feeling much better about my gear investment.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

winte.r wrote:
I feel like I shouldn't have to remind a PADI instructor of the terrible, terrible danger of gastric embolism on ascent that a taco represents Mike.
No worries there, just have to off-gas as necessary. Even better is when your buddy has to release you from your backzip drysuit...
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome! and Welcome!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

mpenders wrote:
winte.r wrote:
No worries there, just have to off-gas as necessary. Even better is when your buddy has to release you from your backzip drysuit...
Lol
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm with Josh. Best intro ever. You are going to fit in here like a square peg in a custom-cut hole.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

winte.r wrote:I updated my avatar ladies

Did you pull that from your myspace profile pic?
olalladiver
Aquaphile

Post by olalladiver »

winte.r wrote:

Naw... We're friendly with non-divers, too... Just don't have as much to talk about with them because they're boring... And we still don't want to be people's friends... Unless they're funny... then maybe they can hang out with us, if they bring beer and tacos... Looking forward to the tacos :taco:

And I'm sure you can attest to the fact that I'm every bit as sexy as my avatar would lead you to believe... especially crammed into 8mm wetsuit... I'm like a 200lb bratwurst with fins in a neoprene casing... Yummay! Anyway, thanks for not being jealous, 'cuz nobody likes a hater...

See you in the water (or water/poo slurry)
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

Scubie Doo wrote:

I thought for sure a mod would delete it lol
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

winte.r wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:

We're pretty lazy that way.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
winte.r wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:

I guessing was sleeping on that one too.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

spatman wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
winte.r wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:

I guessing was sleeping on that one too.
The intro was too much of a distraction for them apparently. Nice work! :notworthy:
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

What, is there someone new here?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.