Snorkeling in the San Juans? Worth a new skin?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Snorkeling in the San Juans? Worth a new skin?

Post by JDelage »

All,

I am a lapsed diver, and I haven't dived in 6 years. I am going to spend a week on Decatur (in the San Juans) island this Summer, with a number of non-diving family members. Diving is going to be out, but I could conceivably do a lot of snorkeling. It would require that I buy a new suit (7mm at least I suppose).

My question is, are the San Juans a good spot for snorkeling? I know that the Pac NW offers great diving, but this is quite different and I don't know what to expect. Since the investment would be material, I thought I would ask first.

Thank you,

Joss Delage
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Snorkeling in the San Juans? Worth a new skin?

Post by CaptnJack »

Is there decent shore access along the east side of Decatur? I can't think of any dive sites along there (other than James Island) and don't know the access situation. There's a muddy bay on the west side of Decatur which might be ok (used to be a log camp and marina), but I don't think I'd buy a new wetsuit specifically for that. And yes, 7mm is pretty much a minimum.

The only "must see" snorkeling/free diving spot with shore access that I can think of would be Lime Kiln on San Juan island.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JDelage »

We're going to be next to the Sylvan cove, on the West side (but facing North, it's opposite from Brigantine Bay). It's very good access to the water, I just don't know if there's anything to see *in* the water.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sorry never dove there. Maybe one of our Bellingham members can help you out?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

There is diving and snorkeling on Decatur, as you can imagine it is dictated by access to the water (so make friends with EVERYONE!). There are some beautiful rocky shorelines with kelp and sandy bays with lots of dungeness crab.

I have mostly puttered around in Brigantine Bay and the edges of Trump Island, as entry point was from Beach dr. area but basically anywhere there is nice rock + water there is good snorkeling.

I would say absolutely it would be worth the wetsuit, I have had a blast in similar circumstances. On snorkel you can experience a lot of the shoreline that is normally ignored by scuba divers.

When are you going to be up there?
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
JDelage
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JDelage »

Week of the 4th of July.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

JDelage wrote:Week of the 4th of July.
Be careful that you don't get your ass run over then. You need to either stick very close to shore or have a big dive float and be weight enough to dive if anybody gets too close.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver