Question storing spare seals

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Question storing spare seals

Post by LowDrag »

I am wondering what people do to properly store their silicone seals. These things are not cheap and I don't want to ruin them by storing them wrong. I figure part of it will be keeping them out of direct sunlight but what about the storage container itself and should I keep the seals separate from each other?

Thanks...
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Question storing spare seals

Post by Jeff Pack »

ziplock bag, cool area, no sun of course.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

keeping them separated will not hurt anything, and may help in the event of an extreme holding period.You should take them out every 3 or 4 months for a dip in seal saver IMHO.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
DFessler
Avid Diver

Post by DFessler »

I put my seals in a ziplock bag, roll the bag up and put into a black 2" pvc tube capped at each end. This keeps them dark, the ziplock keeps them away from the pvc, and keeps them safe from getting poked while in my save-a-dive kit. Its worked for me so far.
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Waynne Fowler wrote:keeping them separated will not hurt anything, and may help in the event of an extreme holding period.You should take them out every 3 or 4 months for a dip in seal saver IMHO.
Definitely do NOT want to do that for silicone seals. Latex, meh, maybe. I'm not a fan of the stuff.

About the only thing the silicone seals need is a dusting of unscented talc to keep them from sticking to one another, and storage in a nice dark place, without any sharp folds and creases.

They're really quite bullet proof, as long as you don't nick or over stretch them.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

DFessler wrote:I put my seals in a ziplock bag, roll the bag up and put into a black 2" pvc tube capped at each end. This keeps them dark, the ziplock keeps them away from the pvc, and keeps them safe from getting poked while in my save-a-dive kit. Its worked for me so far.
That's a great idea putting them in pvc, time for a homedepot run.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

Put them in the freezer! Just make sure you thaw them out before trying to strech them. NO SEAL SAVER!
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry it took me so long to get back in here. I was not getting reply emails for some reason.