How to crab

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

How to crab

Post by Nwcid »

Beth and I would like to try scuba crabbing this year in the sound.

From reading online I have seen talks of about health concerns of crab taken from the sound. Can anyone tell me more about this.

Next are there some areas that are better to go then others?

Any tips or tricks?

We are hoping to do this next weekend as it will probably be my last chance to dive until October.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: How to crab

Post by mz53480 »

Nwcid wrote:...
Any tips or tricks?...
phpBB [video]

good luck!
MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Nwcid wrote:Beth and I would like to try scuba crabbing this year in the sound.

From reading online I have seen talks of about health concerns of crab taken from the sound. Can anyone tell me more about this..
The crab look very healthy - although some are missing the occasional leg or eyeball. Their health is seriously compromised when I put them in a big pot of boiling water :burntchef:

(seriously - I wouldn't take crab from Elliott Bay i.e. Cove 2 - but other than that you should be fine)
Nwcid wrote:Next are there some areas that are better to go then others?.
The Muk is the not-so-secret hot spot
Nwcid wrote:Any tips or tricks?.
- Crab run side to side, so if you can work as a buddy team and approach a crab from both sides they will usually run to one of the two of you.

- Check and measure the crab underwater but always grab a few more than your limit. Then double check them immediately after you hit shore - It always happens that we end up grabbing a few soft shells and have to throw them back

- Pin the crab on top of the shell and then grab them from behind. A crab can reach about 2/3rds the length of its body so watch your fingers.
Nwcid wrote:We are hoping to do this next weekend as it will probably be my last chance to dive until October.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Check for females before you bother to put it in your bag.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Great and semi amusing replies.

We have practiced catching quite a few while just on random dives. Hopefully that will help when time to get eaters :)
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

CaptnJack wrote:Check for females before you bother to put it in your bag.
I have some fisheries biologist friends that were especially embarrassed to come ashore and discover that they had been dutifully letting all the males go and keeping their limit of females.
BillZ wrote: - Check and measure the crab underwater but always grab a few more than your limit. Then double check them immediately after you hit shore - It always happens that we end up grabbing a few soft shells and have to throw them back

If you employ this strategy I wouldn't actually come ashore with an over-limit bag. Check them while you are still in the water and blame temporary deafness from having water in your ears if you are confronted by any authorities while you are still in the water. Once you are ashore with an over limit bag life can become unpleasant.

Team scooter crabbing is tons of fun too.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

renoun wrote:[
BillZ wrote: - Check and measure the crab underwater but always grab a few more than your limit. Then double check them immediately after you hit shore - It always happens that we end up grabbing a few soft shells and have to throw them back

If you employ this strategy I wouldn't actually come ashore with an over-limit bag. Check them while you are still in the water and blame temporary deafness from having water in your ears if you are confronted by any authorities while you are still in the water. Once you are ashore with an over limit bag life can become unpleasant.

Team scooter crabbing is tons of fun too.
Agreed - What I mean by "ashore" is to come up to a point where you can stand up in the water and recheck your crab, not bring them back to your car. We've done this at the Muk several times with fish and feathers watching us and they've never given us any problems.