Cleaning regulator first stages

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Cleaning regulator first stages

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

Had a discussion with dive buddy (well, as soon as he starts diving again...) regarding cleaning regulators after diving. One of us was of the opinion that the first stage never get submerged unless it is under pressure, so just hose it off; the other was of the opinion that, so long as the cap seals well, soak the darn thing to ensure all salt is out of any joints, hose crimps, etc.

So, what's you opinion?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Cleaning regulator first stages

Post by CaptnJack »

Put the cap on and soak it. You'd be surprised the amount of salt & corrosion you can get in threads and other 'hidden' places like the swivel turret. This includes threads on things like the SPG too btw. Rinsing won't reach those places, soak the whole thing.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 on what Richard said. if your cap seals well, a good soak in luke warm fresh water will do them a world if good.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Been doing unpressurized but capped soaks for over a decade without problem. The only hassle is the rare time I forget to put the cap on.....rats! But that's just fresh water > take the hoses off (gauge hose is critical to remove)and pressurize it a couple seconds and the water is gone. I've actually taken them apart when I've done this and it's a pretty trivial amount that gets in if anything at all.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

fmerkel wrote:Been doing unpressurized but capped soaks for over a decade without problem. The only hassle is the rare time I forget to put the cap on.....rats! But that's just fresh water > take the hoses off (gauge hose is critical to remove)and pressurize it a couple seconds and the water is gone. I've actually taken them apart when I've done this and it's a pretty trivial amount that gets in if anything at all.
I never thought of doing this. Thanks!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Another tip for rinsing/soaking, is to move or remove any hose protectors if you have them.

The hose protectors is supposed to prevent the hoses from kinking, but it does more harm than good, because it traps salt and calcium deposits on critical parts of the hose where the crimping or hose fittings are and highly increases the chance of corrosion.

so in order to rinse properly, slide the protectors back to expose the hose ends/fittings/crimpings and soak/rinse well.

personally, I just cut & remove all hose protectors from my kit.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

+1 on hose protector removal. I think this is another retailing misconception. Sounds good on paper, doesn't work out in practice, especially the tight fitting cheap plastic ones.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I do much the same as described by Richard and Koos. But about every 10 or so dives I remove all hoses. Seperate the SPG from it's hose leave the cap off the 1st stage and toss it all in nice clean fresh warm water for about an hour then I flush it all with another quick rinse of warm water for about 5 min's. hook up the first stage to a tank an blow it out. Add the regulator hoses, put an HP Plug in place and purge again, put on 2nd stages and HP hose purge once more making sure that the HP Hose blows nice dry air (TP works well as it show moisture easily) Operate the second stages until I'm satisfied the unit is pretty dry inside.
Don't forget - like I always do - the inflator hose will fill with water so you either remove the schrader or ensure you operate the schrader to get the water out

all that sounds like a PITA and ... it sorta is.... but it really doesn't take all that long. It takes me about 15-20 min's of actual hands on for about every 3 sets or so. But I think it's also a good reason that I don't ever have regulator issues. If there is a problem with a reg of mine I actually have my hands on every individual piece on a very regular basis.

My thoughts on hose protectors.... like my thoughts matter .... :)
I don't like them but I believe them to be a necessary evil for some hoses. I don't put them on my BC hose as once it's plugged in it doesn't move much, I don't use one on my backup reg for the same reason, it just doesn't move around enuf IMO to warrant one. Drysuit hose... same gig.... I put them on my primary reg hose as it's moving all the time and gets taxed at the hose/swag interface, the same is true for my SPG it's always getting pulled and moved.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

oh.... if you blow air through a hose with nothing on the end of it, do yourself a BIG fav and HOLD them firmly.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy