Dive Jobs @ Pt Defiance Aquarium

General banter about diving and why we love it.
troublesomemermaid
Just Settling In

Dive Jobs @ Pt Defiance Aquarium

Post by troublesomemermaid »

In case it is of interest to anyone - "Eye to Eye Shark Dive Program Assistant" was posted recently on the Tacoma Metro Parks site: http://www.metroparkstacoma.org/seasona ... mployment/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive Jobs @ Pt Defiance Aquarium

Post by Dusty2 »

Don't want much for their $12.00 and hour do they? Did you read that job qualification sheet? :eek:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I pay the laborers at my estate more than that.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I don't think one does this sort of thing for the money.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Dusty2 wrote:Don't want much for their $12.00 and hour do they? Did you read that job qualification sheet? :eek:
The qualifications required make sense to me. Contrary to what folks might think, this is not a "good fit" job for Joe Shmo right out of AO class. It seems reasonable that they would want someone that knows what they are doing with the equipment to be used and the animals they will be working with.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Sounds very much like some of the work done by volunteers at the Seattle Aquarium. At least these guys are paying something.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

The difference there volunteer vs. 'needing' a paid job. Volunteers fully understand they actually end up incurring expenses for volunteering. I think of it as giving back to the community and helping out a sport that is part of the larger ecology I care about, and I can possibly make some difference by doing it. I don't need the job. If I really did need the $$ I don't know if I would have the commitment to work for what the Biologists there get paid. For the level of education and the kind of work they are asked to do it's a pretty demanding and low paying position.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

If I were in the area I'd definitely apply. It's more than most dive shops pay for a starting rate, and includes roughly the same skill set (plus some environmental knowledge). For zoos and aquariums these days, it's not a bad rate actually...it's not a field you enter for the money that's for sure.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Jeff Pack wrote:I pay the laborers at my estate more than that.
Me too my, but with the size of my estate they are hard working! The divers who clean my fountains get paid more than that and I make them do night dives so I don't have to see them, and without lights of course! I don't want them disturbing the tropical fish I stick my fountains with or shining the light on my window (which is also why I can't stay at the silver cloud by the Muk, lousy divers)! Let us not forget the laborers!

Just picking on ya buddy!
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan