bioluminescence?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
PNWDVR2012
Just Settling In

bioluminescence?

Post by PNWDVR2012 »

Just wondering if it has shown up yet? Last year it was crazy but I don't remember exactly what time of year it was.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: bioluminescence?

Post by LowDrag »

We want to see it to!!!
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

In years past it seems to begin showing up in late July and be most visible through most of August and into September.

Happy diving!
Laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

When my buddy and I shut off our lights at Redondo and waved our hands about a bit, it was there. This was a few weeks ago
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mortuus wrote:When my buddy and I shut off our lights at Redondo and waved our hands about a bit, it was there. This was a few weeks ago
I was wondering what you guys were doing in the parking lot. Looked like you were dancing to music nobody else could hear. I usually have better luck seeing it in the water, personally.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

lol
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Mortuus wrote:When my buddy and I shut off our lights at Redondo and waved our hands about a bit, it was there. This was a few weeks ago
I was wondering what you guys were doing in the parking lot. Looked like you were dancing to music nobody else could hear. I usually have better luck seeing it in the water, personally.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I noticed bioluminescence in the San Juans from my boat last week.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Joshua Smith wrote:
You didn't need "luck" to see it with the type of drugs we were on! :)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mortuus wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
You didn't need "luck" to see it with the type of drugs we were on! :)

I quit mixing Nyquil with my XXXL slurpies a few years back.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
PNWDVR2012
Just Settling In

Post by PNWDVR2012 »

Wow. Drugs, dancing, nyquil and very large slurpies?

I guess I've been doing it wrong this whole time...
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Speaking of bioluminescence.... (a word my spell checker doesn't like)

I read the other day (in Lamb and Hanby) that the common orange sea pens we see around here, Gurney's Sea Pen, are bioluminescent when hassled. I tried that recently on a very dark dive but didn't see anything...... perhaps it had to be darker, with my eyes adjusted.

Has anyone else seen them glow?