Proposal: eliminate login requirement on email links

Need help with a site function? Looking for a how-to? Have a request for a new feature? Welcome to geekville.
Matt S.
Submariner

Proposal: eliminate login requirement on email links

Post by Matt S. »

The content on the board is visible to the public... but when the system emails me about a new post in a thread, it requires me to log in before viewing the post. It can be a little inconvenient at times. How about turning that option off, so we can follow the new post links in email more easily? It's not a huge problem, but every login on a tiny mobile keyboard is a bit of a pain.

Better yet, the text of the new post could be included in the email. Then we could decided if we even needed to go to the forum.

Just my two cents!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Proposal: eliminate login requirement on email links

Post by CaptnJack »

have a cookie :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I have cookies all over, but they get stale, and browser auto-login timesavers etc. don't always work. I've used the board for years across several browsers and despite all those features, I still have to log in often enough that it's annoying.

Or, what about when you are on a public machine of some kind? You've logged in to email already, but you want to minimize all kinds of logins that you have to clean up later.

Requiring login to read--but only when following an update link--seems like a needless barrier, unless it's set this way to solve some other problem that I am unaware of.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I dunno, I haven't had to login for months. Usually so much time goes by that I have to get password reminders or reset.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sorry, Matt, but those aren't options in the software we use. Have you tried using tapatalk?
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Interesting, I wonder why they would build it that way? Well, thanks for looking.

Never used Tapatalk, I'm cheap. Also, on my usual tablet the display is big enough that I just use a desktop-style browser interface.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Matt S. wrote:Interesting, I wonder why they would build it that way? Well, thanks for looking.
Because if you forwarded the email it would provide access to your account without any logging in.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

That's nuts. I use a lot of other forums and none of them require a login to follow the "new post" link in email. None of them use the data in the link to log you in automatically, either. That's inherently unsafe and it also isn't required just to show you a new post.

The "new post" email link should be just a pointer to specific post in a thread. It doesn't need to know who you are. Like this, here's a post to some random post in a random thread here.

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 04#p240651

Anyway, doesn't matter, it is what it is.

----

Edit:

Here's some material from a "new post" email.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 4&e=241874

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21268

If you click on the first link, to a new post, you are forced to log in.

If you click on the second link, it takes you to the topic without forcing a login.

If you build a link to go to the new post without the "e" parameter, you can go to the new post without logging in.

Anyway, doesn't matter, Spatman checked and it is what it is.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sorry I thought you were referring to PMs for some reason.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Oh, gotcha.

Thread: dead!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Matt S. wrote: Never used Tapatalk, I'm cheap. Also, on my usual tablet the display is big enough that I just use a desktop-style browser interface.
Tapatalk may be the only app I have actually paid for. It is well worth the $2.99 to not read forua with my browser.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

renoun wrote:
Matt S. wrote: Never used Tapatalk, I'm cheap. Also, on my usual tablet the display is big enough that I just use a desktop-style browser interface.
Tapatalk may be the only app I have actually paid for. It is well worth the $2.99 to not read forua with my browser.
+1.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

I will check out the demo, if there is one. I am generally really skeptical of mobile-"enhanced" products, they are often stinkers.
dscuba
Aquaphile

Post by dscuba »

The link requiring you be logged in is supposed to take you to the new content since your user account viewed the thread...