Redondo - 8/8/13

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Redondo - 8/8/13

Post by Scubie Doo »

Met up with EJ and Penders for a evening dive at Redondo. Mike din't have his camera due to a lost charger and I didn't have my camera due to complete laziness. Anyway, the three of us headed down to the carousel boat and our to the "bowl". Viz was so-so, probably about a hazy 10-15'. We made our way up to the large pipe and then headed toward the VW. Since we didn't have our cameras, we were getting a little bored so we started making our way back to the large pipe. At about the 40' mark off to my right, I spotted another six-gill. This one was smaller than the one I saw on the 27th. It was about 4' in length and was feisty. As I frantically signaled Mike and EJ the shark turned toward me, pectoral fins down and mouth slightly open. It came within a foot of me and ducked down and gave it a small nudge on the belly to get it out of my grill. It jetted off and then circled back around. About that time Mike was in position as the six-gill eye-balled him and circled us a few more times. Was swam with it back down to 60', my computer was freaking out. After several minutes the six-gill had enough and took off. Unfortunately, we lost EJ during the encounter. However, we found her at the MAST conducting her safety stop. It was another awesome encounter. I know Jeff is going to say "Pictures or it didn't happen." And I will say "Shut the hell up." So there you have it, good times!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo - 8/8/13

Post by Dusty2 »

Rule number one. NEVER EVER dive without a camera! :banghead: :banghead: :banplz:
bm5w
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bm5w »

Did this shark have some white markings on top of its head? Like in the picture that DecidedlyOdd snapped a week and a half ago?
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Scubie was so lost without his camera that he decided to do this dive without his hood.

It was about 50 min into the dive when he started flashing his light violently in my direction. I headed his way as fast as I could, assuming he was either: 1) out of air, or 2) finally hypothermic and losing his motor functions. I also suddenly realized that I've never done a hood-share drill.

Thankfully, it was only a six-gill. \:D/

No cameras. :angry:

61 min dive.

Scubie rambled incoherently the whole way home - not sure if his brain was still defrosting, or just on adrenaline-overload. Maybe I shouldn't have let him drive... :eek:

Good times, good times...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

60 min without a hood :eek: Now I know he is Kwayzy! :nutty:
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Very very cool!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

bm5w wrote:Did this shark have some white markings on top of its head? Like in the picture that DecidedlyOdd snapped a week and a half ago?
Interesting. That does not look like the two I saw. That means there are at least 3 different ones out there.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

IF and I say IF it actually happened it was probably due to me chumming the water with crab bait at the fishing pier so your are WELCOMED....... So your awesome skills as dive buddies lead you to chase a six gill BUT leave your buddy EJ? I did not hear we searched for 1-2 minutes then surfaced and regrouped to continue the dive. Wish i would have brought my gear, next time. :pirate:
Jeff Castor
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

pogiguy05 wrote:IF and I say IF it actually happened it was probably due to me chumming the water with crab bait at the fishing pier so your are WELCOMED....... So your awesome skills as dive buddies lead you to chase a six gill BUT leave your buddy EJ? I did not hear we searched for 1-2 minutes then surfaced and regrouped to continue the dive. Wish i would have brought my gear, next time. :pirate:
I wasn't thinking clearly with my frozen head.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Crap, I miss a dive and this happens. Figures.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I think y'all are describing the same three we saw down there a year ago ... the white markings certainly look the same as this one ... taken last August ...

So if they're the same, it begs the question ... have they been hanging around all this time, and nobody's seen them? Or have they returned about the same time people were seeing them last year ... and where did they go in the meantime?

I love a good mystery ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Hmmm, looks we need to investigate further.

BTW - That is a really cool pic Bob :-)
MikeMeagher
Dive-aholic

Post by MikeMeagher »

What time at night did you see the shark on the 8th?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

MikeMeagher wrote:What time at night did you see the shark on the 8th?
8:30ish, about the same time as the one on the 27th.
MikeMeagher
Dive-aholic

Post by MikeMeagher »

Thanks for the info.. really appreciate it. :)