Channel Islands Exposure Suit Recommendations

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Channel Islands Exposure Suit Recommendations

Post by Joe Blow »

I have a trip on the Vision coming up next week and have been wondering what to bring for exposure suits. I have a 7mm one piece wet suit, a 3mm wet suit, and a White's Nexus 3 dry suit. I plan on bringing the dry suit regardless, but I'm sort of in a toss up on the wet suit. I've read lots of people wear a 3mm in the summer, and I've also heard people wear a 5mm. When it comes to talking 7mm, most of the info I find is pansy Californians that won;t get in the water when such equipment is required, any tips here folks? Thanks.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Re: Channel Islands Exposure Suit Recommendations

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Prior to owning a dry suit, I did one trip off the Conception in a 7mm. I survived, but a drysuit is so much more comfortable. Next two trips, I only took a drysuit. I would personally skip the wetsuit unless you want to take it as a back up.
Jenn
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

+1 on not bothering with the wetsuit. Its bulky, heavy and not worth packing.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 on drysuit, I've done a couple Channel Islands trips and was really happy for the drysuit.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

And yes California divers are pansies. :penelope:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

CaptnJack wrote:And yes California divers are pansies. :penelope:
They will also complain that the viz is just awful when it's <50 feet.
Jenn
Joe Blow
Avid Diver

Post by Joe Blow »

Thanks for the advice so far. What about undergarments? I have a fleece that I could use, or I could just go in a rash guard under the suit. I think I'll still bring a wetsuit in case the weather is really hot.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dress like you would dress here. The water might be a few degrees warmer than here ... and it might not, depending on where they take you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joe Blow wrote:Thanks for the advice so far. What about undergarments? I have a fleece that I could use, or I could just go in a rash guard under the suit. I think I'll still bring a wetsuit in case the weather is really hot.
Just wear the same suit you would here. The surface waters are typically a bit warmer in late summer (mid 60s). But below about 35ft or so you'll find 53F water which is basically the same as here.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What Bob and Richard said. I've also encountered a thermocline at 90 feet or so where the water dropped to 43.

You'll love hanging out in the shallows at the end of the dive, in the warm water. You'll get much longer second and third dives than the wetsuit folks, too.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames