Fire in compressor bldg in Friday Harbor

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Fire in compressor bldg in Friday Harbor

Post by nwscubamom »

Early Saturday morning (about 3am) a fire broke out in the building that houses Downrigger's Restaurant, and the only scuba air compressor that I know of in the San Juan Islands (for the general public, that is) was in the same building, directly under it. I'm looking at photos/video and it looks like the fire was mostly devastating to the upper floor - and although the building is likely a total loss, I do wonder if they can salvage the compressor?
In any case, don't plan on getting your fills there anytime soon!
The compressor used to be run by Naknek Charters, but was most recently operated by Friday Harbor Marine, also housed in the building.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Fire ... =video&c=y
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Fire in compressor bldg in Friday Harbor

Post by Dusty2 »

Looks like the lower floors were not seriously damaged but moving and setting up a compressor is a big job complicated by the fact that the building may not be structurally sound and it will be some time before they would be allowed into the building. This is a big economic hit for a small community like Friday harbor
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Agreed. And if you look through all the photos they have posted, it does appear that there was fire downstairs as well. :(
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Lots and lots of water to put out that fire, all running downstairs and over things like switches and motors. The compressor block is probably salvageable. The filter housing will need to be replaced (pressure vessel + heat = bad). The motor is probably toast. All in all there won't be fills there for a long time.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Friday Harbor Marine was named as one of the businesses the pier relocated per the radio report (not the news...but a longer report on one of the talk stations). Sounded like it was bad...probably no compressor.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

The scoop through the grapevine is the downstairs offices from Downriggers only had water damage. (this is where the compressor was located.) Friday Harbor marine was on the north side of the bldg, bottom floor, and certainly will have to move because it's likely the building will have to be trashed. So MAYBE, just maybe, parts of the compressor are salvageable, but probably not back up and running in a new location anytime soon. One can always hope, right?
Janna Nichols
><((((°>