ThThTh 9/12

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
mpenders
Submariner

ThThTh 9/12

Post by mpenders »

Nice tides tomorrow!

Day Island Wall, walking to the water at 5:10pm, splashing 5:15pm. This is an advanced level dive due to the currents, but our max depth should not exceed 70fsw. Any deeper, and you've missed the wall.

- since we did DI 2 weeks ago, we could try something a little different, and head to Fox Island West Wall, splash at 5:30. This is a beginning/intermediate level dive. Bottom of wall will be around 50fsw, but you can go deeper to search for Giant Nudibranchs, maybe find them on the hunt.

Who's interested?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: ThThTh 9/12

Post by Tom Nic »

I'm confused - which is it, DIW or FIWW? FIWW isn't current dependent, Fox Island East wall is.

My gills are dry. I need to dive. I would like to dive all day - 3 to 4 dives. I am willing to start in the morningish at TTN and then go whichever direction folks decide, but I gotta dive!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

I offered up FIWW as an alternative to the advanced level Day Island. However, FI East Wall is possible, too. Anyone know what time they lock the gates to the parking lot?

Or, option number 4, if people are up for 2 dives: Saltwater St Park, splash at 5:10pm, then head over to Redondo for a 2nd dive. Anyone know what time they lock the gates at SW St Pk?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'm guessing Saltwater closes at dark / dusk, which in the Winter is WAY early, now it should work fine for a 5:10 splash. it is 5:25 and it is plenty light out right now.

My vote is Saltwater - it's been longer since I've been there than the other sites, but again, I'm willing to tag along with the majority.

Anyone up for TTN beforehand? As early as 10 AM and anytime thereafter until the Saltwater dive? 2 dives? 3?
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I'm guessing Saltwater closes at dark / dusk, which in the Winter is WAY early, now it should work fine for a 5:10 splash. it is 5:25 and it is plenty light out right now.

My vote is Saltwater - it's been longer since I've been there than the other sites, but again, I'm willing to tag along with the majority.

Anyone up for TTN beforehand? As early as 10 AM and anytime thereafter until the Saltwater dive? 2 dives? 3?
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Hmmm splashing at Saltwater at 5:10?

Currents shouldn't be too ripping at that time imo..
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeremy wrote:Hmmm splashing at Saltwater at 5:10?

I haven't even looked at a tide table and am deferring to Penders on this one. Mr. Penders, how do you plan Saltwater? You had DIW nailed!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I was being a bit cheeky...I actually never check the currents at Saltwater and have dove it on large exchanges with zilch for current. If you're boat diving and tie off to a buoy you can experience significant surface current in my experience. But even there...it all disappears down on the reef.

I personally would visit another site if I was trying to take advantage of the small exchange...but that's just me.

My question is...where are you guys going to be Saturday morning?!?! You know what answer I'm hoping for!! :)
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Exactly. I have had my butt handed to me at SW - and soon thereafter learned what a tide book was.

Sat morning? Thinking the same as you (I think?). I still have to get clearance from mission control that my schedule is open.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

mpenders wrote:

Sat morning? Thinking the same as you (I think?). I still have to get clearance from mission control that my schedule is open.
LIKE!

:)
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Tom Nic wrote:I haven't even looked at a tide table and am deferring to Penders on this one. Mr. Penders, how do you plan Saltwater? You had DIW nailed!
Chicken bones, mostly - and avoiding 3+kt currents. I don't quite have it as dialed in as DI, but then SW has a lot of structure to hide behind when you're on the reef.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Let me know what you all decide.
I might be able to tag along.
I'm doing some dive training in the A.M. on Thurs but would be up for a dive perhaps Fri or Sun morning.
Let me know.
K
"Let's go diving!"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Yeah, let me know too....I probably wont make a 5 pm dive..but maybe one after that.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Okay, here's the plan:

First dive at Saltwater State Park, splash at 5:10. Don't forget your Discover Pass, or go get one - you'll also need it for the Club Dive later this month.

Second dive at Redondo, predicted splash at 7:15pm, depending on how quickly we can pack up, get there and gear back up.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

you guys have fun I got contractor issues and they cut one of my phone lines when digging for my septic drain field. :angry: Have phone repair tech person coming tomorrow and hope they can fix it easily. They only buried the dang wire less then 6 inches WTF!!! :nutty:

this was done in 1987....damn 80's :boxer:
Jeff Castor
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Ok I will try to make the 7"15 dive at Redondo.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

mpenders wrote:Okay, here's the plan:

First dive at Saltwater State Park, splash at 5:10. Don't forget your Discover Pass, or go get one - you'll also need it for the Club Dive later this month.

Second dive at Redondo, predicted splash at 7:15pm, depending on how quickly we can pack up, get there and gear back up.
I will be at Three Tree between noon and one for one or two dives then will join you at saltwater
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

I'm diving the shallow line at 6 so I shouldn't need a surface interval, if you guys wait for me there will be beer, if you don't you'll find an empty six pack at the showers
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

TTN was off the hook, Saltwater was awesome, Penders is heading for Redondo, I am calling it a day. Report later.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Cool, I'm waiting at Redondo