Keystone currents

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Keystone currents

Post by Desert Diver »

Hi, I've dove Keystone a few times over the years but really don't understand it other than when I get too far out sometimes the current changes to "OUT". I've never dove the pilings and would like to. So suppose we were diving Nov 19 or 20. Admiralty Head shows a small exchange from high to low to high again. Might be a good time to get more than one dive in there??? Anybody able to enlighten me on what to expect or how to plan 1st dive and 2nd dive. Also other sites in the area that should be checked out. Did the Langley tire reef a couple years ago but I guess that's out.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Brian
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Keystone currents

Post by Dusty2 »

I am not an expert on Keystone but those days should work with Sunday being the best of the 2. If you could make it during the week it would be even better. 22 through 24 have great late afternoon exchanges. I will defer to Jan for exact times
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i show slack for keystone at 1145am Nov 20th ... the tide is really nice that day for diving and you would have no issue doing 2 tanks that day ...
as for the 21st... slack is at 1250 pm , also a great day to dive keystone..Hope that Helps
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Thanks H2ODoctor. That's how I read it. So how long before 11:45 might we get in at the pilings with the idea of looking around there and then heading for the jetty?

Brian
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Desert Diver wrote:Thanks H2ODoctor. That's how I read it. So how long before 11:45 might we get in at the pilings with the idea of looking around there and then heading for the jetty?

Brian
I would get into the water at 1145 or 1200 noon to do the pillings on Nov 20th ... the tides that days are really nice for keystone, i may even come over wed also to do a splash .. :taco: :taco: :taco:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Thank you. So if we were diving Nov 19th, 20th and 21st where else on Whidbey should we dive?

Brian
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

Just down the road is Driftwood Park, with a tire reef packed with life. Oh and right now it is probably a buzz bomb grave yard with all the fishing that has been going on.

We dive Keystone a lot and have no problem diving the pilings or jetty in 1-1.5 knots of current. We typically use the line that runs from the pilings to the jetty as a guide to the Jetty and something to grab on if the current is punkier than predicted, which happens quite frequently. The main things to remember about Keystone current are:

1. The ebb flows out and around the Jetty right into the ferry path. If you get swept around the Jetty and the ferry has to stop, you will get a fine. I don't know the exact amount but I've heard more than $800.
2. The flood normally hits the Jetty about half way down and splits. This provides a bit more of a "safety margin" than the ebb offers.

As we get closer, let me know and if you are interested I would be more than happy to meet you out there! I would also be willing to show you Driftwood Park's Tire reef. It's not as cool as Keystone but it has a couple resident Wolf Eels, that most likely will not be there now that I mentioned the possibility of seeing some.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Thanks. We will see. We are planning on diving those days and are deciding if we should hit the Hood again or go someplace else. When we have a chance to dive I always check the tables for Keystone and this time they looked good. I'm just not sure we want to do 3 days there so would like other options in the area.

Brian
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Does the current run from Driftwood to keystone on both flood and ebb? If we got in the water earlier in the morning on Nov 20 or 21 might we get a ride from Driftwood all the way to the jetty?
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

Yes it does run from Driftwood to Keystone on both flood and ebb.