Any Interest in a NWDC Dive Travel Trip?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.

Which of these dive trips would you commit to going on?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Roatan: Turquoise Bay Resort $1,155
50%
Belize: St. George’s Caye $1,780
No votes
Philippines: Atlantis Puerto Galera $1,895
50%

Total votes: 6

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Any Interest in a NWDC Dive Travel Trip?

Post by Tangfish »

Hello Folks,

I was chatting with a friend who has helped me organize basically every dive trip I've done during the past few years (she's a travel agent and has been diving *everywhere* over many decades), during our last trip, and came up with an idea for a NWDC trip to warm water somewhere. I see people putting together trips to Bonaire, Coz, etc. on their own, doing all the legwork, collecting money, etc. - so I asked her if she could use her knowhow and connections to put together some fun trips for the dive club, with all or most of the legwork all handled in advance for us.

I'm wondering how many of us would be interested in going on a trip to somewhere warm with clear water on a trip that is organized specifically for our dive club members, so I asked my travel guru friend to give me a few options. Based on the interest we can decide on one that makes the most people happy and then choose some dates, based on good weather/vis seasons and with enough time for people to get the time off, etc. Here are a few options:

Roatan: Turquoise Bay Resort
7 nights dive package: Diver $1,155 per person (twin/ double share)
Included:
3 boat dives per day (5 days of diving)
All meals, water coffee and tea, excludes soft drink and alcohol
Round trip airport transfer

Belize: St. George’s Caye
7 nights dive package: Diver $1,780 per person (twin/ double share)
Included:
3 boat dives per day (5 days of diving)
Round trip airport transfer on the same group schedule

Philippines: Atlantis Puerto Galera
9 nights dive package: Diver $1,895 per person (twin/ double share)
Included:
4 boat dives per day (8 days of diving)
Round trip airport transfer on the same schedule

*note, these prices do not include airfare, which we'd have to sort out ourselves.

So, please take a look at this and vote in the poll if you would want to go on any or all of these trips, and in the comments below please let me know other opinions like when you'd want to go (e.g., "I'd need at least 6 months notice, etc.), what other sorts of things we as a group could do to make it more fun (trip specific t-shirts, copious amounts of booze, etc.). Please don't vote in the poll if you think it's unlikely that you would go on the trip, because I don't want to get an inaccurate tally.

PS - I and dive club itself would not make any money on the trips above, just kicking the idea around to get more of us diving in fun places together. There could be a potential discounted or free trip for someone who takes on the unenviable role as group leader (a.k.a. parental supervision), or we could choose to split that potential savings among all the people going (if that's possible), with the understanding that everyone shares a bit in helping to get things done. More details after I get an idea of the interest. So, please let me know!!

:pirate:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Any Interest in a NWDC Dive Travel Trip?

Post by LCF »

I'd be interested in Roatan, and very interested in Belize. (We are already leading a group to Atlantis in October of 2014.) But 2014 is just about booked out already.

It would be fun to make a trip with a bunch of NWDC friends.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I'd do roatan. Just can't travel at the end of a quarter :)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

It'd be fun to dive with you finally Jesse!

Lynne, I might just pop over next Oct when you guys will be at Atlantis? Who all is going?

Also, any places ppl would really want to go to on a NWDC trip together?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Calvin, that would be great fun! It's a mixed group of friends and some of Peter's students. (It is most emphatically NOT a GUE group trip!)

There are lots of places I'd like to go -- I haven't been to the Caymans, Roatan, Bonaire, or Fiji; I've been only to Bunaken and Lembeh in Indonesia, and we will just be going to Dumaguete in the Philippines. I haven't been to Palau (but I'm not sure I want to go) or the Galapagos (ditto). Shoot, I haven't been to the Keys, the Tortugas, or the North Carolina coast. There's so much water I haven't been in, I can't even list all the places!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Calvin,

If we want mass participation, I think Bonaire or Florida keys would be best. With enough planning I'd be up for cocos, Australia, Palau, shoot anything :)

Jesse
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i would like to go to Brownings Pass
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

What a great idea!! Puerto Galera especially!

Summer is no good for us.

Any chance nitrox could be included in the price?
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

A Philippines trip is high on my bucket list ... and there's bunches of folks on NWDC I'd love going there with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Most of 2014 is booked so for a longer trip (aka Atlantis) we would need longer period to budget $$
We are in roatan at cocoview in April 2014.

Belize could be doable..but I would love to join Atlantis if booked out far enough.

My recommendation request is please plan a winter/spring trip when it is crap cold/dreary here
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

As a side note..it may be easier to try to corral folks (for the first nwdc groups event) for a channel isnalnds trip or coz or Florida before going on a longer or harder to reach location (it phillipines/t.Belize). We would be down for a shorter trip end of next year possibly
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

Many packages around there for the dive but i personally like the Roatan package because its superb and give much entertainment with the less rate for 7 night i also recommend to you that pick up this package and enjoy the trip...
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Palau would be high on my list. Also, surprisingly, I have yet to be to Bonaire.

Would need to be mid to late 2015 for me, travel calendar is booked up through April 2015 already. It would be uber helpful if travel aligned with school calendar dates - not a must given my position at this point in time, but helpful.

Awesome idea Calvin!
Laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

I'd be in, but 12 months notice or so would be best so I can budget the time and money. I'm up for anywhere, really, as dear hubby doesn't dive and I am always in need of a buddy.