Bertha Stuck, Divers might be used...

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Bertha Stuck, Divers might be used...

Post by WaGigKpn »

So the Big tunneling machine is stuck under Seattle. It is 60' underground and they dont know what it ran into. I have heard on the news, and mentioned in this article http://mynorthwest.com/11/2412946/Offic ... ing-Bertha that they might need to use divers to inspect/remove the object. The area needs to be pressurized to keep groundwater at bay.

This brings up so many questions...on the radio this morning a spokesperson said they need a pressure chamber to pressurize the divers for an hour prior to working the site. They will then pressurize the cutting zone where the divers would enter and work. They would be limited to about an hour of work and then spend a couple hours in the decompression chamber.

Could someone explain how they are able to make a seal in the cutting head area to pressurize it? Seems like blow back around the cutting head/area would be a big issue. Also, why pressurize prior to entering the pressurized area?. Also, why are they limited to such a short time working in the pressure zone?

Very interesting situation at hand...
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: Bertha Stuck, Divers might be used...

Post by Jeremy »

I had many of the same questions when this story came out
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

My Dad works in the tunneling industry. I'll ask him, but it might have to wait til the weekend.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Because Science....

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Looks like the Bertha has a couple of hyperbaric chambers already incorporated into it. Not sure why they have to acclimate over an hour - maybe to prevent a rapid-descent type of narcosis?
Bertha Tunnel Boring Machine.jpg
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Have these guys never seen War Of The Worlds!!

Dont disturb buried alien machines..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I was lucky enough to attend a lecture on decompression at DEMA. I can't remember the name of the presenter, who was from DAN, but he went on at length about decompression in modern tunneling, and apparently DAN has been consulting on the project in Seattle. Workers in the drilling rig are subject to the same decompression considerations that divers are, although they are not divers, in that they are not working in water. Why they take them an hour to get to 4ATA, I have no idea.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

1504046_387820901363999_723499011_n.jpeg

this is the company doing the diving.. my friend works in the tunnel
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

LCF wrote:I was lucky enough to attend a lecture on decompression at DEMA. I can't remember the name of the presenter, who was from DAN, but he went on at length about decompression in modern tunneling, and apparently DAN has been consulting on the project in Seattle. Workers in the drilling rig are subject to the same decompression considerations that divers are, although they are not divers, in that they are not working in water. Why they take them an hour to get to 4ATA, I have no idea.
I didn't see the pressure they would need to be at. Was it 100' equivelent? I suspected they put more pressure in there than the 60' depth for some reason??
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Desert Diver wrote:
LCF wrote:I was lucky enough to attend a lecture on decompression at DEMA. I can't remember the name of the presenter, who was from DAN, but he went on at length about decompression in modern tunneling, and apparently DAN has been consulting on the project in Seattle. Workers in the drilling rig are subject to the same decompression considerations that divers are, although they are not divers, in that they are not working in water. Why they take them an hour to get to 4ATA, I have no idea.
I didn't see the pressure they would need to be at. Was it 100' equivelent? I suspected they put more pressure in there than the 60' depth for some reason??
The top of the machine is at 60', but the machine itself is almost 60' tall. So to the bottom of the tunnel currently is almost 120'.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

To keep the Bay at bay...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The graphic says 4ATA, which is where I got the number.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

YES BUT HOW DEEP R THE GOIN 2 DOVE?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Joshua Smith wrote:YES BUT HOW DEEP R THE GOIN 2 DOVE?
A millions billions
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Interesting. I was just talking to my neighbor yesterday. He is in the running to be one of the divers (the commercial diver/pile drivers union sued to make sure they would be awarded the job) to go down there. From what he was saying, they plan on more extensive shifts (similar to sat. diving). But then it hasn't happened yet. If he gets the job, it'll be interesting to get a first hand report.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

any news on whats down there?
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Mums the word. Guess they are still scratching their heads. You'd think that with all the hi tech in Seattle they'd have it all figured out by now.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Maybe they finally found Jimmy Hoffa :smt064 :stir: :popcorn:
Jeff Castor
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

kdupreez wrote:any news on whats down there?
I'm trying to not get too excited becuase there's a good chance it's just a bloody big rock. However, I have been looking at photos of the waterfront trying to determine what may have been filled over when they built the newer peirs. The Seattle public Library has a decent collection of historic photos:

http://cdm15015.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ ... 392/rec/18
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Post by AdrianSmith »

sitkadiver wrote:
I'm trying to not get too excited becuase there's a good chance it's just a bloody big rock. However, I have been looking at photos of the waterfront trying to determine what may have been filled over when they built the newer peirs. The Seattle public Library has a decent collection of historic photos:
According to the most quoted article I've seen so far the drill bit is a full twenty feet deeper than the fill that was used (60' down vs 40' of fill). That means chances are it's NOT something from the early history of Seattle - if the article is correct it's just too deep below that layer.

-Adrian
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduc ... splay/1369