GoPro Mounts

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Micah
Frequent Bubbler

GoPro Mounts

Post by Micah »

Hey all, Merry Christmas! I just had a quick question, what mount do you guys use on your gopro when SCUBA diving? Right now I'm looking at a monopod or the wrist mount, but I don't have any experience with gopros at all. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! Thanks!
AdrianSmith
Avid Diver

Re: GoPro Mounts

Post by AdrianSmith »

I use a tray. Much easier to handle the camera and lights. I use iDive but there are plenty out there.

-Adrian
Fordman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Fordman »

I can't watch wrist mount videos... or mask mount. Its always a mess. Use a tray.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1388019379132.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1388019347972.jpg
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

what they said :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Scooter mount! :taco:

Stay away from the head mount ones. Based on the number of posts I've seen with "Lost gopro, headstrap attached" in the title, they are not real reliable.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
bfox
Just Settling In

Post by bfox »

I actually do use the headstrap and it works very well. I did have the foresight to attach a strap from the gopro housing with a clip to my bcd..... Yes, I have pulled it off on accident with my mask at the end of a dive. I usually forget its there. One thing I've noticed is that you have to aim the GoPro down slightly from being parallel with your mask to get good results. If it's parallel, you can't see anything you're picking up and trying to hold for the camera like when crabbing. I mostly use this when I want both hands free.

I also use a GoPole ($50). It's already set up with the GoPro mount to connect to the housing. It telescopes out to around 40" and is good for getting close-ups without getting yourself too close and scaring the critters. Especially good for poking into the small spaces that the octos hide out in.

I'd definitely suggest a tray if you're going to use flood lights, but for general fun dives these both work great for me!
Brandon

"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I tried the pole type setup that was about 24" long but found that you have to consciously slow down your movements otherwise you find your video zipping all over the place. I have used the head mount also but I put my hood on then pull it back and then put on my head strap pulling my hood up over the strap. My latest setup has been a 3/4" PVC tray type setup. I have it all glued together except for one cap that I can pull off and fill the PVC with as much water as I want. I also drilled a hole in the cap because if I want to remove it underwater and there is little to no water inside the pressure won't let me take off the cap. I can post a pic tomorrow if you would like to see it. Another good thing about the tray setup is that it keeps your hands busy to avoid sculling...if you are a newer diver like me... :)
Micah
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Micah »

Thanks for all the tips guys! I just have a couple follow up questions, how is the video without lights? Do you need specific video lights or will my HID be good enough? I'm leaning towards the octomask or a tray, maybe both! The pole also seems like a good idea, there's just so many choices! Also, should I buy a red filter? Does it make the video quality that much better? Thanks again!
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Here is a pic of the set up I am using right now.

And here is a video I shot on the 29th at Edmunds. For some reason, the sides of the video are all wobbly which I don't understand. When I look at it on Facebook it is normal. I think it is because YouTube "noticed" that my video was "shaky" and wanted to know if I wanted them to fix it. I think that messed it up. Anyway, this might answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvnxo7ZDcts
Micah
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Micah »

Nice set up! Thanks for the reply. I've got a handlebar mount and some PVC pipes somewhere in my garage, so you've given me some great ideas!
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

Nice video. The side shake is strange.